General Category > Insurance

Is This Ethical (Insurance Related)?

(1/7) > >>

fenimore:
The neurosurgeon I'm considering here in NJ (removal of a 2.8cm NA) does not accept any insurance.  He operates with an otolaryngologist.  He tells me that the  bill will be submitted to my insurance company by the otolaryngologist as the lead doctor, with him as an assistant.  It sounded good until the neurosurgeon's secretary told me not to talk to my insurance company or employer about this arrangement because they (the doctors) would get in trouble.  I'm worried enough about the surgery and recovery without wondering about getting in trouble with my insurance company.  Has anyone else heard of this type of thing?

ppearl214:
Hi Fenimore and welcome.....

Based on what you just wrote, I'd run like heck!  You can go to your State Board of Registration of Physicians to find a qualified neurosurgeon who will accept your insurance.  Also, you can check here under "Physicians" to find AN treating physicians in your area that come recommended by other AN patients.

Welcome to the forums.....

Phyl

Obita:
Hi fenimore:

Yikes.  I have never, ever heard of anything like this!!  Like you said, as if this isn't stressful enough...........

You will find a ton of posts on here regarding your gut feeling........you need to listen to it.

I did recieve two bills for the surgeons.  One for the Otologist/Neurotologist and one for the Neurosurgeon.

Welcome to the forum and good luck, Kathy

Jim Scott:
fenimore:

Welcome to the board. 

To answer the question stated in your post: no, this 'arraignment' is not ethical.  It is a form of fraud.  You should not get involved in this scheme.  Besides, what surgeon doesn't take any medical insurance plan?  That sounds very suspicious to me.  Is this man even licensed?  I'm serious.  Not accepting any medical insurance sets off many alarms t for me. 

In any case, even if you foolishly went along with the scheme, should your insurance company ultimately refuse to pay your neurosurgeon's fee as an 'assistant' (they are not all that stupid) you would be liable for that fee and I can tell you, it will be high.  Probably in the neighborhood of $30,000. or much more.  Who needs that kind of worry?  Not you.

I would suggest you pass on this ethically-challenged neurosurgeon and find someone who is not only competent but plays by the rules - and takes your insurance.

Jim[/color]

Palace:
 :-X

If they are doing that with insurance.........what are they going to do to your head; run like HECK.  Yes, I'm serious!

Frightening,

Pal

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version