General Category > AN Issues

Bad taste 2 1/2 yrs post op

(1/2) > >>

Sam Rush:

I am 2 1/2 yrs post op translab for 1cm AN at HEI.  Have done extremly well. However, the past 4-5 months have developed a salty slimy mettallic taste in mouth.  I thought it was a side  effect of BP meds., but no. Dentist could find no problem.  I didn't think it was related to AN, until I did some research and talked to Dr. Brakemann at House.

Apparently, there is a small branch of the 7th cranial nerve(facial), that is closely associated witht the vestibular branch of the 8th cranial nerve(auditory), and that small branch supplies nerves for taste  of the anterior 2/3 of tongue and feeling in lips.  This small branch is apparently regeneratiing and causing the sensations. Dr. Brakemann doesn't know how long it will last and may be permanent.

Anyone w/ similar symptoms and sugg. on how to deal w/ this annoying symptom.

nancyann:
Hi Sam:  YEEAAHHHH!!!!!!  I have the same thing & am soo glad it means my nerve is generating.
             I didn't have it immediately post op, but it's gotten alot worse.
             Yep, same symptoms as you, horrible metallic taste with just an essence of salt,
             but, YIPPEE if it means my nerve is coming back.
             I'M DANCING AT MY DESK !!!!!!
             Let me tell you, I LIVE on Listerine Breath Strips.
             Now that I know what it is, it doesn't seem as annoying at all.

Thank you, thankyou, thankyou !!!!!!   Nancy

Jim Scott:
Sam:

Thanks for the info.  I don't have much of a taste problem - well, maybe just a tiny bit - but I do have a few small 'patches' on the side of my tongue and on my lips that are superficially 'numb'.  I intended to mention this to my neurosurgeon when I see him in April for a follow-up and a fresh MRI scan.  However, even though I'll still mention it to him as a point of information, Dr. Brakemann's explanation seems to explain the cause of these annoying 'numb' spots.  Nerve regeneration is good.  Very, very good.  Of course, the fact that Dr. Brakemann doesn't know how long the sensation of 'numbness' will last and that the 'numbness' could be permanent is not so good.  Meanwhile, hope springs eternal that in time, the nerves will eventually regenerate and this too, shall pass. 

Jim

Boppie:
Yes, Sam, I have sensations remaining on the AN side and tip of my tongue that come and go.  My translab was followed by minimal late onset facial weakness.  The whole face is recovered but the taste issues persisted for 10-11 months.  At least I have had more good days than bad days since the one year mark.  Once in a while now I get a really sore spot on the very tip of my tongue, especially when I use my tongue to clear the popcorn or other harsh stuff.  So my remedy at this point is to never eat abrasive or hot things.  I let my food cool.  I never sip hot liquids.  Chocolate puddings and yogurt go down very easily.  My tongue seems happy with that. 

On a happier note the metallic taste has abated and I am able to forget the taste differences for the most part.  I have found that a tiny bit of salt on my food allows me more taste pleasure.  Before surgery I had cut out salt completely.  I am sure glad I don't have BP problems and don't need to eliminate salt.  In fact I have always had low to normal BP.

matti:
Sam - I'm almost 9 years post op and still experience a metallic taste. Mine developed almost immediately after surgery and was 24/7, but has lessened during the past couple of years. Since my surgery I can not tolerate salt in even the tiniest amount.  I'm OK with that, I'm just glad my taste buds still allow me to enjoy chocolate ;)

Cheryl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version