General Category > AN Issues

Thanks and new question

(1/4) > >>

Gabbie:
Hi, This is my first time as a registered user of this site, but last May when I was newly diagnosed with a 3cm AN (after a missed diagnoses three years ago) I was a frequent visitor to this site and wanted to put out a great big thanks for all of the positive stuff you folks post on this chat board. I had been to another site where there were a few people writing all of their 'war' stories and it sounded horrible. I am proud to say that my 14hr surgery in July went well and I was back to work in 6weeks. I still have a few balance issues (especially in the dark) and it will be an adventure when I get to the beach this summer, but overall I would say my recovery has been quite remarkable. This sort of leads into my question...I was wondering if anyone has had difficulties with short term memory and word searching (other than normal ageing stuff I am 38yrs old.)? I will be visiting this site more often now that the hardest times are past.

ppearl214:
Hi Gabbie and welcome :) I look forward to your further participation here and even though the reason stinks that we all have to be here, I am glad we are here! :)

RE: your question..... there have been many threads on this site (as well as the Cyberknife Patient Support board) with many of us noting short term memory loss and other cognitive issues.  Dr's (from what I have read thus far) don't seem to see the correlation between the cognitive issues for AN patients but many patients are reporting it (myself included..... I just claim that when I forget a birthday, I have a dr's note for short term memory loss :) ).

If you take a little time and check some of the forums here, you will see some of the threads recently noting these issues.  I know others will chime in here as well as many of us do share the same situation as you.

Again, welcome.
Phyl

Jim Scott:
Hi Gabbie:

Congratulations on your rapid recovery.  As another fortunate AN patient who is pretty much back to normal 10 months post-op, I share your joy and I'm pleased that you've been encouraged by the posts on this board. 

I really don't have much in the way of balance problems and whatever balance difficulties I had are disappearing.  Your apparent short-term memory loss seems to be fairly common in AN patients (whether doctors acknowledge the correlation with acoustic neuroma tumors or not).  I've experienced some short-term memory loss but I usually attribute it to my age (64) and/or sleepiness, because my memory always seems to get worse as the night wears on.  So far, it's not a major issue for me and I don't worry about it as it doesn't affect my daily life in any meaningful way.  I know there are nutritional and vitamin supplements one can buy that are supposed to help this condition but I have no idea if they are of any real value.  Others may contribute further information about that aspect of treating short-term memory loss. 

Now, 'don't be a stranger' here.   :)

Jim

Katrider:
Hi Gabbie, Phyl, Jim......  ;D  I am currently undergoing treatment with the "Novalis".  I too have had issues with some short term memory loss but mostly with word searching.  People around me notice this so I know Im not crazy and Im only 43.  I havent brought this up during my meetings with y Dr.'s but now I will.  CIAO...........

Boppie:
Gabbie,  I am 65, had translab 9 hour surgery 15 months ago.  In the beginning I had short term memory difficulties that I wanted to label as my post trauma disorder.  I had trouble remembering names, keyborad letter positions, where I put things down, reminding someone that a person phoned.  I had to do a lot of self retreading.

At 15 months out I admit that I have a diminished ability to sequence and multi-task.  My husband says I have trouble focusing and it seems to him that I just shut down at times and cop out.  He is correct.  Pre-op I was excellent at multitasking and sequencing thoughts in line.  I could write directions and teach process tasks very well.  At present I deal with this new problem by making more lists and reducing thoughts to visuals (images).  I have a new way of thinking post AN and I guess it will be with me forever as my new normal.  I think the problems I am having are not from aging.  I will not allow this to frustrate me, and perhaps this is where I show my "age".  I am more willing to let the problem flow by me.  Unlike Jim, I am still the nite owl I was pre op and keep myself busy with lots of unfinished tasks, seldom need a nap or early bed times.  I just don't stick with things ad nauseum as I once did.  This explains the stack of unfinished tasks.  ;D

I would say at age 38 one should overcome the memory problems in time.  Perhaps I and other posters could help you if you'd pose some specific questions about the problems you are having with memory.  Many minds together can do good things.  There is a study going on about the cognitive issues AN patients have.  You are not alone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version