Post-Treatment > Post-Treatment

CSF Leak?

<< < (2/4) > >>

tarheelEH:
What Dr. Friedman did on me is to reopen the incision site : check titanium plate over the previous mastoid if the leak come from there;  and also do left obliteration of eustachian tube and closure of ear canal (also remove middle ear's ear drum so in the future there is no ear wax produced any more) for CSF leak repair. He said he won't use belly fat for this type repair procedure, instead he used new harvested temporalis fascia and bone wax to pack and closure. He didn't go from the nostril which will close the bottom portion of Eustachian tube, he closed the upper portion of Eustachian tube by going in from the ear.  I didn't have CT scan, so I assume CT results can point to exactly where the leak come from and doctor goes from there.  Hope you indeed don't have this leak and good luck to you up coming scan and appointment.

gunns:
Wow! That was quite an operation. Do you know how the patch is held in place and what are “temporlias fascia” and “bone wax”?

tarheelEH:
I don't meant to scare you from previous detail procedure, Gunns!
I really don't know how exactly Doctor patch the leaks.  He mentioned using these two patching materials, I think temporlias muscle fascia is from subcutaneous cartilaginous junction when he circumferentially incised from my middle ear and probably abundant and commonly use for grafting in this canaloplasty procedure.  Bone wax would be some type artificial materials that can make a barrier to stop bleeding from bone surface and may be also use to patch the holes (?) sorry that I didn't ask very detail about the materials, but looks like they are very common material use for surgical patch. I believed they also use these materials when they do AN surgery, just that the main drilled hole is big enough to warrant belly fat graft. 

Cheryl R:
There are many of us who nose runs similar to your description when just being active or too warm.     Also when eating.        I also did have a CSF leak 2 weeks after one of my surgeries due to NF2.         They feel mine was one of 3 they had who had had translab and a new type of colloidal implant was used.    This is a type of product to help area where tumor was removed.   They went back to the more expensive product previously used.        Mine did do the drip drip when held head over and collected the sample.   It had started running a small amt all the time.        My whole experience and then surgery as went back to neurotologist and was on bed rest for a day before  did the surgery.                    I had the same event where the liquid was sent for the beta 2  transferrin test.         This test was not even done at the Univ of Iowa which is major AN center but sent out.        My surgery was exactly the same as what TarheelEH had done.   There is a name for it and I am not sure what it is for sure.       Sub total petrosal something.             I was kept in for 3 days after done.              There are some drs who will do a lumbar drain for several days after this happens and no surgery.    I am sure the cause for the leak makes a difference.           Every dr has their own protocol.          I do know when back in with the leak had one nurse say they hardly ever see a leak.
  I was not in ICU after the much shorter surgery.                  I also never had headache,fever or salty taste.     One has the possibility of meningitis with this so feel lucky.                     This was back in 2006 but still can have runny noise as said above.     Took me awhile to get over the fear of another leak.
                                             Cheryl R

tarheelEH:
Thanks Cheryl for sharing your experience.  Now I am three weeks out and feel much better as the suture has absorbed and I can shower without plug the ear anymore.  I was very active but going forward really fear to do any exercise or lifting that increase head pressure.  I don't know when I can resume yoga or weight training without thinking the leak again... I am at North Carolina, but Duke won't be able to do the test, they have to send sample to Mayo Clinic of Minnesota.
Good luck too Gunns and please post your CT result if you would.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version