Watch and Wait > For those in the 'watch and wait' status

New Symptom

(1/2) > >>

Vivian B.:
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone prior to treatment had a funny sensation at the corner of their lip of the affected area. It's not numbess or tingling, just feels like something is dripping but it's not. It's not constant, but comes and goes. Should I be concerned? I already called the Neuro. last week to ask him about the rice krispy noise in my ear which is now gone by the way and don't want to have to call him every time I feel something. He did tell me upon being diagnosed to call him if anything changes during the time that I am waiting for the next MRI. I am thinking that he meant if any serious symptoms occur? How do you know how serious the symptom is? I also sometimes hear a noise like a car driving quickly by me, also comes and goes. I had this even prior to being diagnosed. Do symptoms go away after treatment?

I would appreciate any answers that you may have.

Thank you

Vivian

Lilan:
Hi, Viv. I feel like I'm always jumping in to say yes! I have that symptom! but it's true! The cranial nerve symptoms are pretty predictable!

You may have a touch of facial weakness on that side even if not visible to the eye. I would definitely keep your doctor apprised, because they might want to offer you a course of steroids to relieve pressure on the nerves while you make up your mind about what to do. I found they sprang into action fairly quickly when facial symptoms presented.

I have realized in retrospect a few things that I noticed before diagnosis. I was never able to "wink" only my eye on the affected side, never, whereas I can singly wink the other side. I also bought a new light that I thought was making me dizzy the winter before I was diagnosed. :D And I have never wanted people to stand or sit on my affected side if I could help it -- I always had to have people on my right side -- for decades before being diagnosed! I'm telling my friends from way back when, "See, there WAS a reason for that odd habit of mine!" ;D

Point being, I don't think a drippy feeling on one side of your mouth is "normal" -- it is probably related. JMO. Keep us posted!

Vivian B.:
Hi Lilan,

Thanks for the information. I figured it may have something to do with the facial nerve. I will wait until next week and call my Neuro if it persists. I am not sure about steroids, how is this taken and what is the purpose of it?

Vivian

mk:
I have had this "wet" feeling before, not around the mouth, but on the cheeks, kind of like having tears dripping (when there were none). When having an AN it is not uncommon to get weird sensations and twitchings here and there, due to nerve aggregation. They usually go away (like the rice crispy sound) and the doctors won't usually prescribe steroids for very mild symptoms. If you have a more persistent of severe symptom,  such as sudden hearing loss, then you should certainly contact your doctor. In such cases a course of steroids usually helps.

Marianna

Vivian B.:
Hi Marianna,

Thanks for your input. You described it quite well actually. That's exactly what it feels like, tears dripping but none there. I left a voice message with the secretary at the Neuro's office. I was going to wait but decided to call. They did tell  me to report anything unusual. I hope they don't think I am getting paranoid, which in fact I may be.

Vivian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version