General Category > AN Issues

Working with general public

<< < (2/2)

feline:
Everyone's response has been helpful I wanted to thank you all.
Feline

Mimispree:
Hi Feline:

I read your post when you first put it up and I've been thinking about it ever since.  I too have facial paralysis and my drooping right-side is severe.  The right side of the throat is also paralyzed which makes swallowing weird.  (On the bright-side:  Because I take much smaller bites, I eat less.  Do you think my tumor was God's way to help me diet?  Ha-ha-ha!)

Anyway, I used to work at the front desk of our local outfitter helping people with information about hiking around my area (I was very good at it).  I just found out my former employer didn't include me on this the schedule this year because he assumed I wouldn't want to work with the public with my "...face like that."  Yipes!  That took me aback a bit.  But in all honesty after reading the posts on this page, maybe answering "Brain Tumor" every time someone asked me if I had a stroke would be the pits.

My neighbors and husband have been great about it, but the general public is difficult.

I also hate feeling guilty or vain if I get bummed-out about my facial paralysis.  I know it's primarily a "cosmetic" issue, but that doesn't quite explain it fully, does it? 

Thank you for your post.

Michelle

LakeErie:
Mimi...
This is off the topic of the thread, but I have not encountered many swallowing complications on the site. I have followed your posts but somehow missed this part of your recovery.
I too had paralysis and the paresis on the AN side of my throat. So you know, I did improve, though slowly. It took me better than a year to get more normal. I am not exactly as I was pre-surgery, but do swallow much better now, but have to be careful. I am so accustomed to it that I am not really aware of it anymore

Feline, am sorry to hear of your difficulty. At an area ANA support group - N E Ohio - there was a guest speaker from the Cleveland Clinic who was a plastic surgeon. He has developed an out patient procedure that restores facial symmetry improving appearance. This doctor was first in his college class, first in his med school class, and has the highest score ever earned on the plastics board exam. The procedure does not restore movement to the muscles of the face, but does restore features. Maybe you can research this option in case time does not restore your facial movement. If it any consolation, I had different nerve complications and it took 16 months to see anything close to the return of normal function. Good luck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version