Post-Treatment > Balance Issues

walking a straight line...

(1/3) > >>

Windsong:
I'm wondering how many of you have found that when doing the heel toe walk for balance on your own at home you have found that looking down versus looking ahead in front of you makes a difference?......( no using hands and arms out to the side either lol).... I tried it tonight and noticed the balance is different depending on whether I am looking down or straight ahead.....
W.

Joef:
looking down is harder! ... I believe since we (ANers) depend more on vision .. (walking etc in the dark is harder) .. when we are looking down, we dont see the horizon.. and balance is harder...

nancyann:
I agree with Joef, looking straight ahead much easier.   In fact, I've tried this every so often - it's alot easier now than 3 months ago,  YEA FOR ME !!!!!!

Betsy:
Interesting...it IS easier to walk in a straight line when focusing on something in the distance.  I'm going to try this next time I'm walking with a group of co-workers.  I know they wonder why I can't walk in a straight line.  The "liquid lunch" jokes are getting old.

Windsong:
Interesting... that's what I discovered too. And it made me wonder if that's why some feel more unbalanced when walking down a set of stairs. (as opposed to up)  ...

I also recalled that a couple of times when a neurologist had me do that walk and I'd look at my feet,  he'd say no,no, look ahead when you do this.....(i didn't question why at the time lol)...now I am wondering why long and narrow hallways (vs wide open spaces) make a difference and seem harder when looking ahead and I tend to look down (grocery stores too when in the early stages of vestibular compensation......) yet tai chi is fine when looking ahead....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version