AN Community > AN Community

Husband with 4cm AN

<< < (3/3)

ANGuy:
An EEG shortly after a seizure will almost always show signs of seizure activity.  The seizure leaves behind a trail, a history, of abnormal activity for a time afterwards.  Also, usually, not only is the history of the seizure evident, but the underlying cause can be determined as well.  While it is ideal from a diagnostic standpoint to have a seizure during the EEG, they can still glean a lot of data afterwards.

While you could very well have had "seizures", it is more likely, and your Drs' actions support this, that you had some type of syncope (fainting).  While there are many kinds of seizures, and some amount to basically syncope, syncope is usually fainting due to a sudden drop in blood pressure. 

There is an old saying "If you hear hoof beats, think horse, not zebra."  In this case, and due to their training and experience, your Drs are thinking "horse", the likely cause, not zebra, a long shot of seizure activity that shows nothing on an EEG.

Also, if you recover from the episode pretty quickly and feel basically normal, this does not support the seizure theory either.  Seizures are the result of all or part of your brain "firing" rapidly and repeatedly when it shouldn't.  The result of this is exhaustion upon recovering.  Nearly all seizure patients are flat out exhausted after a seizure for several hours or more.

alabamajane:
At the risk of getting off topic,, I just want to say I know I have had seizures as does my Dr and husband. Period. I don't need an explanation of what they are nor how I feel and do afterward.

Tina,,
It's been several months since your post. I certainly hope your husband is much better and stronger by now with the help of his therapy. Our wishes for continued healing..please update us if you still come to the forum for support..

Jane

ANGuy:

--- Quote from: alabamajane on June 19, 2015, 09:00:48 pm ---At the risk of getting off topic,, I just want to say I know I have had seizures as does my Dr and husband. Period. I don't need an explanation of what they are nor how I feel and do afterward.

Jane

--- End quote ---

Okay, it's not off-topic because seizures are an integral part of this particular discussion.  That aside, I am glad you have all of your seizure issues sorted out.  If you are not interested in discussing the issue, simply don't.  The info I was posting about EEG's and seizure disorders was not addressed to you specifically.  I don't know why you think this would be about YOU.

For others who are wondering about whether their episodes are seizures or some other condition, despite what has been posted in this thread to the contrary, EEG's accurately reflect seizure activity in 90% of patients.  It simply isn't true that EEG's are of no value if the patient doesn't seize during the examination. 

MG:
Tina,
I am praying for your husband. I am so sorry for all that he has been through and you too. Sending positive thoughts and prayers for a good recovery.

MG

Crazycat:
Hello Tina,

I went through the mill as well. My surgeries were 10 years ago as of last month. I had to have a shunt installed before the tumor resection. I was in the hospital for close to five weeks altogether. As much as I went through, what your husband has endured is much worse.

This post is from last March. How is he holding up these days?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version