Post-Treatment > Post-Treatment

911 First Responders Diagnosed with Acoustic Neuroma?

(1/3) > >>

hiwy2u:
Hi all. My husband, a 911 first responder was diagnosed with AN in 2012. Trying to find out how many other first responders have been diagnosed with same and propose addition to WTC Related Heath conditions. Anybody??

ANGuy:
I spent 24 hours digging at the WTC sight on or about 09-15-01.  I have had the typical AN symptoms for 8 years, but was not diagnosed until a few months ago when the symptoms became more noticeable.  So, my 1cm tumor probably started growing about 10 years or so ago.  It does make me wonder, and it was one of the fist things I thought of.  But, I'm not sure how whatever we may have been exposed to could cause an AN.  Unless witnessing the scene itself could cause an AN.  I've seen a lot of things in my life, but nothing like what I saw there.  I still smell the smells and get a certain taste in the back of my throat from that unique combination of burnt flesh, crushed concrete, and decomposing bodies.  I know those smells and tastes aren't really there, but sometimes something triggers the sensation of them.

arizonajack:

--- Quote from: hiwy2u on August 21, 2014, 05:47:12 pm ---Hi all. My husband, a 911 first responder was diagnosed with AN in 2012. Trying to find out how many other first responders have been diagnosed with same and propose addition to WTC Related Heath conditions. Anybody??

--- End quote ---

My gut says that, after 11 years, the AN is likely unrelated to 9/11.

But you have failed to provide any important information like his age, the symptoms, when those symptoms started, the dimensions of the tumor, and what his doctors have told him.

However, in all fairness, I figured that if any ANs were related to 9/11 there would be some documentation online.

I found only one person who was diagnosed with an AN but it was 8 years after 9/11. There are several articles on this guy but this article says:

"a tumor doctors say he likely developed as a result of exposure to carcinogens when he responded as a volunteer firefighter to the World Trade Center Sept. 11, 2001."

That is so vague and unsupported that's it's easily dismissed.

Here's the article:

http://www.timesledger.com/stories/2014/20/hearingcenter_bt_2014_05_16_q.html

Reads more like an advertisement for the hearing aids than anything else.

hiwy2u:
Husband's Neuro-Oncologist confirmed AN as being related to exposure to toxins at WTC site (benzene, radiation, mold and textile dust to name a few). If you were a  First Responder with documented proof, you can assist in getting AN added to list of WTC Health Program qualified illnesses. If you are indeed authentic WTC First Responders, then that would be 4 diagnosed out of 60,000
 registered First Responders. Typically AN is 1 out of 100,000.(growth rate of 1.5 mm per year growth rate fits into time frame as well).

Note:  I edited out your personal information per forum netiquette.  Users may contact you through the private messaging system.  Clarice

SgtPanarella:
Hello, I know this is a little late, but I am just getting around to this now. I was a construction worker at Ground Zero a s the Staten Island Landfill from 9/2001 - 7/2002. In 2010 I was diagnosed with an 8mm acoustic neuroma. I was 33 at the time. With little research I believe I am the 5th 9/11 responder out of 60,000 to be diagnosed with this. It says that this affects 1 in 100,000. Seems a little odd.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version