General Category > Insurance

Insurance for "out-of-state" Cyber Knife treatment at Stanford

<< < (2/3) > >>

mcrue:
Thanks ANGuy and Sandyinwisconsin,

Madison is looking really good right now haha.

I wonder if they have one of those TrueBeam treatments in Michigan? The idea of having radiation spread out over 26 treatemnts sounds good, but i wonder if the statistics for success are equal to regular CK performed over 3 days?

Anyways, something for me to research....

ANGuy,  my ENT claims someone who is "experienced" in AN treatment should be treating AN's at least 1 or 2 per week (or more) for several years. I would never have treatment for my brain from someone who only treats AN's  once or twice a month. But I understand your point that experienced doctors can be found locally.

Best wishes.

ANGuy:
If a Dr is telling you that he does 100 AN patients a year, that means that there are only 30 or so Dr in the US that treat them.  Think about it, do the math.  There are roughly 3,000 AN's diagnosed a year in the USA.  A substantial number each are treated with radio surgery or traditional surgery.  So, like me, do observation but let's just say that eventually all observation patients get treatment, so the ones who put it off now, are being replaced by the ones who can't put it off any longer.  So, 3,000 diagnoses a year, call it 3,000 treatments a year (to keep it simple), and each Dr is doing 100 of them?  And how many of those are of each type?  Let's say 2,000 get traditional surgery, and 1,000 get radiosurgery.  Flip that the other way or split if 50/50, it doesn't matter.  If there are 1,000 patients being treated with say radiosurgery, and each surgeon worth a darn does 100 of them, that means that there are only 10 of those surgeons in the country?  Sorry, but those numbers don't add up. 

mcrue:
I hear you ANGuy. I'm just saying what I was told :)

mcrue:
Does TrueBeam use the same radiation that Cyber Knife uses, or is it a form of "Proton Beam" Therapy?

http://www.mclaren.org/protontherapy/ProtonTherapyTrueBeam.aspx

sandyinwisconsin:
My treatment was not proton therapy.  It sounds like Truebeam makes proton therapy machines. 
My insurance would not have paid for proton therapy, but
I do think it is going to become the wave of the future. 
Mayo Clinic in Minnesota is putting in 2 machines. 

Sandy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version