Post-Treatment > Post-Treatment

fatigue - GK vs CK

(1/3) > >>

goinbatty:
I've seen post radiosurgery fatigue mentioned frequently.  I was wondering if fatigue is worse with GK or CK or for the most part is it the same.  Also from what I understand steroids are given with GK.  Are steroids utilized with CK routinely also?

aardvark:
My CK was 2 years ago at Stanford.  The routine included a steroid pill (Decadron)  immediately following each day's treatment.  As far as I'm aware, that's still the norm, but perhaps more recent post-CKers will have updated info about current protocols.

aa

ppearl214:
hey goinbatty,

It seems that Fatigue and all forms of brain tumors (malignant and benign) tend to go hand in hand, regardless if pre-treatment, post-treatment or type of treatment protocol.  There is a thread here re: fatigue that may be of interest. Within the thread, there is a link to a brochure (a .pdf file) written by Dr. Peter Black and Nancy Conn-Levin regarding all forms of brain tumors and fatigue, pre- and post-treatment that is a good read.  Please see this thread disucssion and the link to the brochure....

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=3380.0

To open the brochure, you need Adobe Acrobat/Reader. If you do not have it on your computer, you can go to www.adobe.com and download a free trial copy of the software/application.

In my research, dispensing of steriods for post treatment (ie: edema, etc) is based on each location's protocols.  Some use it, some don't.  Decadron (brand name) seems to be the post-treatment anti-inflammatory of primary choice. I was on it as my treatment team uses it post treatment.  I know of some that were only on it for 3 days, some longer, some not at all... so, discuss it with your treatment team to see if they do recommend it or not....

Phyl

gordy:
i had gamma about a month and a half ago and i was given no steroids. felt fine after a few days. no real fatigue until a couple weeks ago. not sure if it was from the an or over worked.

goinbatty:
Thanks for the brochure Phyl.  Very interesting.  I'm leaning toward CK but am concerned about keeping up with work, family, etc.  The center I'm considering is about 4 hrs away.  One other question.  Immediately after CK, are you allowed to drive? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version