General Category > AN Issues

Another new guy...

<< < (2/14) > >>

voron999:

--- Quote from: gary.s on April 25, 2017, 09:56:11 am ---........... I focus on my balance, I am off balance a lot. When I don't think about it when walking, I do much better. Mind over matter.

--- End quote ---

The balance is really an automatic function of the brain and best left alone to do what it does , I would think.
Think of it, the body reacts intuitively much, much quicker on its own than if you try to process the situation.  Just walk/run/play as much as practical and force the stimulation that way, and let the brain thing adapt on the background.

dwilliams35:

--- Quote from: gary.s on April 25, 2017, 09:56:11 am ---I am also waiting for my second MRI to determine if my tumor is growing or not. I am scheduled for the MRI on May 8 and then the neurology appointment on May 11. We are establishing a baseline to see how stable the AN is. Watch and Wait is what I am doing.

My balance has been an issue for a few years now. I have episodes where I am off kilter for weeks at a time, then it improves. I walk each day and find when I focus on my balance, I am off balance a lot. When I don't think about it when walking, I do much better. Mind over matter.

--- End quote ---
  It's hard to tell whether my balance was previously an issue or not: I really, really didn't notice a problem until such time that the doctor did the "drunk test" and showed me that yes, I had some balance issues.  It may be just a function of the fact that now I know I'm supposed to have a problem and thus recognize it when it shows up,  but ever since that appointment I have had the balance issues.  The only other possibilities is that it's growing faster than I hoped, or that initial inflammation that killed my hearing for a few days (solved by the prednisone)  did some lingering damage that I'm seeing now that I'm off the steroids...   I'm still just trying to figure out the upside on this ENG test: I don't see anything it is going to prove besides that I've got symptoms of something that the MRI has already pretty much established..

TomB66:
Other than the recent 'drunk test", think about your balance in the dark.  Have you noticed in recent years that when you get up out of bed in a dark room you are well balanced?  And at that time did you blame it on just being tired and not awake?  I have to say once I found out I had an AN, I looked back at that symptom that I had for a couple of years prior.

Blw:
I had every test at the clinic. I think ENG could be ENoG, which is looking for involvement of the facial nerve. It is possible the tumor is coming of the facial nerve. If so, surgery is a bad choice because if you cut that nerve, you are in for a lot of trouble. Mine did involve that nerve, so I went radiation, specifically, Gamma knife, which has fantastic outcomes for facial nerve schwannomas. I would not worry about balance. That was my first symptom and I couldnt walk without my head down, looking only 5 feet ahead of me. In the dark, I had to hold something because you don't have the visual cues. It will come back as your brain adjusts.

dwilliams35:

--- Quote from: Blw on April 29, 2017, 06:51:39 pm ---I had every test at the clinic. I think ENG could be ENoG, which is looking for involvement of the facial nerve. It is possible the tumor is coming of the facial nerve. If so, surgery is a bad choice because if you cut that nerve, you are in for a lot of trouble. Mine did involve that nerve, so I went radiation, specifically, Gamma knife, which has fantastic outcomes for facial nerve schwannomas. I would not worry about balance. That was my first symptom and I couldnt walk without my head down, looking only 5 feet ahead of me. In the dark, I had to hold something because you don't have the visual cues. It will come back as your brain adjusts.

--- End quote ---
Electronystagmogram.  It's definitely aimed right at the balance issues that got this going, but I'm just still wondering just what they're trying to prove; they already have the MRI that shows the AN, this just seems redundant.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version