Treatment Options > Radiation / Radiosurgery

My personal gamma knife experience 1-24-13

<< < (2/40) > >>

millie:
Sounds like a very very positive experience.  Yay for the good guys!  And for happy juice.

robinb:
Thanks all for the support.

Yay for the Happy Juice is right.

Well happy juice and local anesthesia all worn off now. I can report no headache, just some soreness areound the pin sites and one of them still bleeding a little.

Since we have to leave htel at 5am to catch 7am flight,  not going to take off bandaids till we get home. My husband braved the cold to go find me a wide headband for me so I can put over them!

I had planned tomorrow off and back to work on Monday. However, I have the luxury of working from home when I am not traveling and have no travel scheduled till end of February as of right now.

No change to hearing and still have mild tinnitus. Nothing unexpected.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

robinb:
Arrived back home today.

Feel great, just tired.

Removed bandaids on forehead, the pin sites just look like a scab was peeled off. No big deal. Pin sites still sore and when I washed my hair, I realized my scalp is still a little numb.

Nothing more to do now, hopefully, till my 6 month MRI in July!

robinb:
Well, an uneventful end to day three as a postie toastie.

I forgot to mention I also was given another round of steroids due to my fluctuation in hearing and positive response to previous rounds. I started yesterday morning and have had zero tinnitus and I could swear my hearing has improved. I downloaded one of those hearing test apps, will try it tomorrow. Anyone think these are a reliable indicator?

Soreness subsiding around pin sites and almost all scalp numbness gone.

One day at a time, will be marking them till my six month checkup.

I respect and admire those that have gone through surgery and its complications. I know I made the right decision for me in ruling out surgery and encourage anyone on the fence to reach out and I will share all the research I had done prior to choosing GK. Ultimately, I think the various radiation options are good, I chose GK due to its simplicity, time involved, historical data and experience of doctors. The head frame was the biggest issue I had to overcome, and as a wimp in dealing with pain, I can say it was painless! It was on amd off in less than 5 minutes before and after. Longest time was spent waiting for docs to program GK unit for my tumor after the MRI.

Back to work tomorrow and to the gym on Tuesday!

Thanks again to all that shared their experiences with me and gave encouragemtn and support.

MDemisay:
Dear Robin,

Thanks for posting your experiences, it is your way of "paying it forward" and it is helpful believe me! As you wait for your 1st MRI check up, please post often!

It is helpful to those newbies who have not made a decision yet whether to opt for surgery or to do as you have done with the less invasive Gamma Knife.

You go girl! Woo hoo!

Congratulations!

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version