General Category > Hearing Issues

Sudden Hearing Loss and Acoustic Neuroma

<< < (2/2)

mwatto:
Hi I had CK 5 years ago. I did notice some tinnitus post covid but its gone now. Update: Just had audiology done for 5 year check up yesterday and no change still at 85% that ear, other ear 100%. I am 63 years old so pleased that its holding so far. Was 85% at diagnosis.

SeaCat:
Just seeing this post. "Never seen someone with sudden hearing loss due to the AN" sounds to me like a misunderstanding, but you heard the same thing from two people, so ... maybe they are inexperienced?

My story is similar to yours, although mine starts with a slight hearing loss and a diagnosis of Eustachian tube dysfunction. Then came a more profound hearing loss, prednisone (prescribed by urgent care), audiology indicating sudden sensorineural hearing loss (SSHL) and showing that the middle ear was fine (i.e. no Eustachian tube dysfunction), confirmation that the prednisone was the right move, and an MRI just to rule out some benign mass that sometimes causes SSHL. And guess what? There was a benign mass--a vestibular schwannoma/acoustic neuroma (which I am sure was what the ENT had in mind all along when she said "benign mass," but that would have required a lot of explaining at that time).

Mine is big enough (17 mm) and I am young and healthy enough to lean towards surgery, which I have scheduled for June (but may push out a little more). I have had a couple of hearing tests since the diagnosis, and it has improved a little each time, but it is still not nearly good enough to be considered functional. I picked out CROS hearing aids two weeks ago, and I go to pick them up today!

donjehle:

--- Quote from: SeaCat on January 22, 2024, 11:44:55 am ---I picked out CROS hearing aids two weeks ago, and I go to pick them up today!

--- End quote ---

I would like to know how you like your CROS hearing aids, SeaCat.

Even though mine are far from perfect, there are many things I could not hear from my AN ear without them. So, I know I need them, even though I don't like wearing them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version