Treatment Options > Radiation / Radiosurgery

9 month post ck - what does this mean?

(1/2) > >>

mellowrama:
Hello all,

I just got back my MRI results (9 months)...this is what the notes are...my doc hasn't seen the results yet (in the mail).  I think it says the tumor has grown  :(

"Impression:  Persistent enhancing left cp angle mass is stable to slightly progressive as compared to the 5/31/06 exam, presently 2.3x1.9x1.6 cm in size.   

Possibilities to include acoustic schwannoma versus meningioma.  Consider ct evaluation ifthis has not been prior performed.  If this demonstaretes higher attenuation on ct, meningioma would be considered more likely."

thanks,
melinda

zjane:
I would wait  for your CK doc's opinion.  Some of the diagnositic radiologist (the ones write the repots) might not be experienced in evaluating post-radiation tumors on the scans.  Or they mistaken swelling with growth.  I'd wait for CK doc to read the scans before getting too paniky.

Good luck hope everything turns out ok and it's just swelling.

macintosh:
I'm gong to trot out a message that some people will have seen in other forums:

This is from an abstract from an article in Neurosurgery: February 2006. The primary author is BE Pollock:

<Tumor expansion after VS radiosurgery rarely denotes a failed procedure, and the majority of patients only require further imaging. Approximately one third of tumors that enlarge will remain increased in size compared with the time of radiosurgery but will not show sequential growth. Additional tumor treatment should be reserved only for patients who demonstrate progressive tumor enlargement on serial imaging (2% in this series). >

So according to this, your odds are still very high that this is just short term swelling, and nothing else. I had radiosurgery five months ago, and I've fully accepted the fact that it may take a couple of years to get clear evidence of treatment success. 

You should be able to get the whole article at pubmed.gov.

mellowrama:
Thanks for the feedback, I feel much more optimistic now.  I hadn't heard about swelling after say 4-5 months post radiation.

melinda

ceeceek:
Hey Mcntosh,
Great article. I will have to save that one for my records. Dr Medbery said more of less same thing on the CK board....

and yes, they tend to swell after proceedure and then die...which is why, if you want to look up my wierdo case, is why I needed my tumor to be made smaller...so I would then have room for swelling...Plus, different MRI centers will have slight variations also..if possible, try and use same center for every MRI.
Do not panic, I believe in my heart for you that this is great news.!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version