Treatment Options > Radiation / Radiosurgery

New to the forum, multiple questions (Gamma, insurance, left side/right handed)

<< < (2/5) > >>

buzneg:
Having already lost 100% hearing on one side, any chance of facial paralysis on top of that make me lean toward getting this taken care of sooner than later.  Those who would rather take the wait and see approach, I respect your decision but in my case don't think it's the way to proceed.

More relevant info:
https://www.facialpalsy.org.uk/causesanddiagnoses/facial-nerve-tumour-neuroma/

notaclone13:
Buzneg, sorry to hear about your diagnosis and sudden hearing loss.  You are in good company here as we are all in the same boat. Sudden hearing loss is quite common with ANs and often occurs as the first symptom.   In some cases a course of prednisone can reverse the hearing loss. Did any of your doctors mention this option? Unfortunately, vertigo is also a symptom of ANs and is very scary.  I keep Dramamine on hand all the time and find it to be very helpful.  I realize that you have seen a neurologist and radiation oncologist, but you I agree with Allison, you really need to find someone that specializes in this type of thing. If you don't mind mentioning where you live, someone on the forum may be able to direct you to someone more familiar with ANs and their treatment.

buzneg:

--- Quote from: notaclone13 on June 04, 2018, 03:35:46 pm ---Buzneg, sorry to hear about your diagnosis and sudden hearing loss.  You are in good company here as we are all in the same boat. Sudden hearing loss is quite common with ANs and often occurs as the first symptom.   In some cases a course of prednisone can reverse the hearing loss. Did any of your doctors mention this option? Unfortunately, vertigo is also a symptom of ANs and is very scary.  I keep Dramamine on hand all the time and find it to be very helpful.  I realize that you have seen a neurologist and radiation oncologist, but you I agree with Allison, you really need to find someone that specializes in this type of thing. If you don't mind mentioning where you live, someone on the forum may be able to direct you to someone more familiar with ANs and their treatment.

--- End quote ---

I specifically told the emergency room physician, that I saw online that people were prescribed prednisone and antibiotics for sudden hearing loss (second day of serious symptoms) .  She acted like she had never heard of such a thing and basically did nothing until I had the MRI around 5 hours later showing the AN.  But still no prednisone.  Three different doctors I saw there in 4 days.  Still no corticosteroids.  Should I be seeking legal advice about medical negligence? 

BTW, my pending GK is to be done by one of the top prolific GK programs in America:
https://www.elekta.com/meta/press-intern.html?id=acdd863a-c416-4b3c-bf22-da96ea426cd8

The answers to your other questions are above your post - awaiting mod approval.

juliawilson:
The medical center where I normally get my care also uses gamma knife. It is an older form of radiation and employs screwing a halo into the skull. I got weak just thinking of that. I traveled several hours away from home to get the newer CyberKnife--a comfortable plastic mask keeps the head in place--no screws. Also, it was done by a team that does a lot of AN work--very important because experience counts. Both centers were in my insurance network, and the carrier did not even blink at the cost.

buzneg:

--- Quote from: juliawilson on June 11, 2018, 02:11:45 pm ---The medical center where I normally get my care also uses gamma knife. It is an older form of radiation and employs screwing a halo into the skull. I got weak just thinking of that. I traveled several hours away from home to get the newer CyberKnife--a comfortable plastic mask keeps the head in place--no screws. Also, it was done by a team that does a lot of AN work--very important because experience counts. Both centers were in my insurance network, and the carrier did not even blink at the cost.

--- End quote ---

Was the CK "fractioned" into a series of visits?  I can't do that at Wake.  I'm in the middle of TN, they are in the middle of NC.

I hate the thought of something being screwed into my gourd but if it's only once in my lifetime and they have some drugs to make me not care...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version