General Category > AN Issues

AN's and learning style inventory

(1/2) > >>

Raydean:
Thanks to my grandson I've been researching "Multiple Intelligence Theory", Learing Style Inventory,a theory developed by Howard Gardner.  (google learning style inventory, Howard Gardner).  Basically it states thatthere  are  different ways that we learn, one of which is auditory.  My grandson as an example is probably a auditory learner.  Will act like he hasn't heard a word said, but is able to  to repeat back everything said.

In researching it made me think of postings over the years where some ANers found learning alittle more difficult, or thought of themselves to be less intelligent then before.  What if due to the hearing loss or SSD it changes the way we learn.  Especially if the person was an auditory learner prior to the AN> It's an interesting theory and read, it's easy to take it one step futher  as an explanation for some of the questions raised regarding intelligence, cognitive and learning issues that have been posted on this site.

Maybe some of the teachers on this site would be able add their thoughts.

Best to all
Raydean

Boppie:
Raydean, I taught in a private school.  We had many students with special learning styles, most of them were very bright children.  In particular the students dealt with the extremes of Auditory    or    Visual      learning.  This subject fascinated me. Since our own son had been experiencing some difficulties, I had him tested by a school psycologist and found that he was a very strong visual learner, and weak on auditory memory.   Today, my son is a successful man  He has a fantastic memory for details that he reads and, in particular, history.  I am happy that we did an inventory for his learning style early.

I think your reference to this material could help those adapting to cognition disorders. We adults can assess our own learning styles, and change them if necessary.  I think writing lists and reading out loud helps me.

Jim Scott:
I'm a lifelong visual learner and I haven't noticed that my learning skills have diminished since my hearing was compromised by my AN tumor.  I underwent both surgery and radiation.  I also use auditory input to learn but, with my SSD, I now rely more on what I read rather than what I hear.  However, I still enjoy hearing an uplifting sermon or an informative speech, as long as I'm in the front row.  :)

Jim

f706:
For what this is worth:

I used to be an audiologist.  Over a period of 6 years I tested over 3500 children between the ages of 8 and 16 years.  I did not just test their hearing acuity, but acutally tested for ear dominance, neural pathways and cortical processing.  These children had been diagnosed as learning disabled.  I found interesting patterns by age and ear dominance and gender.  One of the most interesting results was when the parents returned after my advising them on strategies for coping with their child.  To make a long story short, most of these kids not only showed a dominant ear contralateral to the primary auditory processing centers in the cortex, but by using a mechanical ear plug in the "weak" ear they were able to concentrate better in noisy situations.  Often both ears needed to be occluded during reading or studying periods.  I am an auditory learner.  I love to read, but I remember what I hear better than what I read.  This is especially helpful in reading novels.  I don't have to buy so many because I can go back and re-read them.  My AN is on my left side, so I've lost the "ease" of learning.  I find I'm much less patient through the learning process.  I'm not retaining as much as I used to when something is told me now.  Is it age or a result of my hearing loss in my dominant ear?  I think it is both.

Dan

Windsong:
I've been thinking along the same lines. I know I was strongest in auditory learning....i relied heavily on what i heard and also in some situations on subtle nuances in hearing...some of which are lost now.(and i notice that loss) Although I am strong visually, too, ( use it in creative work) the auditory was at the top. I am sure having an An, with  subsequent hearing issues due to that An, has contributed to the "cognitive" losses I have when listening. Now i often need to "see" things written down, write them down myself, or use imagery/vision along with it all......for me, this is compounded by the fact that I tested equally as right brain and left brain thinking/learning twenty years earlier. Much goes into what we learn, what we retain, and for some of us the auditory input does matter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version