General Category > Inquiries

facial neuroma

(1/1)

jas22:
just diagnosed with a facial neuroma (diff. than acoustic - it is a tumor in the facial nerve) - anyone else have this problem?  If so what course of treatment did you take?  what were the results?

ppearl214:
Hi jas and welcome. As most that participate on these boards have acoustic neuromas, some may be able to provide info for you.   As I'm not sure what size growth you have, may I suggest the CKPatient support website.  I only recommend this as many facial neuroma patients converse there, not just about Cyberknife radio-surgery, but about all options.  The website is:

http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/

I hope you find info there, as well, helpful to you during this time.

Again, welcome.
Phyl

jas22:
thank you - i will check that out! :)

Battyp:
jas cee has a facial neuroma of some sort and I know there have been a few others if you do a search for facial neurom I'm sure some names will pop up.  Where are you located, what state?

Michelle

Jill Marie:
Hi jas,

I too had a facial neuroma, but that was 15 years ago!  I had what my doctor called a Translab.  The hearing in my left ear was already gone so he wanted to do what was best for the left side of my face.  The tumor was just starting to affect the use of my face, I hadn't noticed but the doctor could tell a difference between the left and right sides.  I had my surgery in June and by late December, just in time for Christmas I started to see a change in my face.  It improved a lot over the next few months and grew stronger over time.  My eye blinks, it closes about 95% but it doesn't water/tear at all.  Please keep in mind that everyone is different and as it's been 15 years procedures have changed.  Before the surgery the doctor said I wouldn't blink and my eye wouldn't close at all but after a couple of years my eye would water again.  As it turned out it was the complete reverse. 

The most important thing I can tell you is that you will make it through this.  As I mentioned before I had my surgery 15 years ago and although I wish I hadn't had to deal with it,  I'm doing fine.  Been married 30 years this week and have been working at the same job for 12 years. 

You are the second person I've corresponded with that has had a facial neuroma, the first person posted to me this past week.  Hopefully we can learn something from each other.

Goodluck & please keep in touch, Jill Marie :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version