General Category > Inquiries

reaccurance

(1/3) > >>

cheeka:
hello everyone,
I had a 13mm on my right side removed via retrosigmoid on Jan 4, 2006 NYC
My docs told me that tumor was removed 100%
I was just wondering if anyone had a reaccurance or had a new one develop on the other side
They said that i can go on with my life and probably never have to worry about a tumor again
my 6 month post op MRI had nor signs of the tumor
I am due for my first annual MRI in June of 2007
or
has anyone had weird things happen post op
any weird happenings or noises in their head
thanks
kym

Boppie:
KYM,  We can only hope that tumors are 100% removed.  But in light of the size for yours and the approach chosen, I would guess your tumor was optimally visible to the surgeon and he believes yours is 100% removed.  Since you had surgery Jan. 06 if that was correct, you might still be sensing some weird ear nerve sounds.  Nerve endings in the scalp are healing, and your face might be feeling weird at times.

Congratulations!  You are one year post op!   

Jim Scott:
Kym:

I too had my AN removed via the retrosigmoid approach, but in my case, the neurosurgeon opted to 'de-bulk' the tumor (it was large) and purposely left about a third of it in place in order to avoid cutting/disturbing the cranial/facial nerves and the problems that can cause.  I came through the surgery with no real complications; no CSF leaks, facial paralysis, serious eye or swallowing difficulties, headaches, etc.  Three months following the surgery I underwent 5 weeks of FSR treatments to kill the remaining tumor cells.  No problems there, either.  This fairly recent, two-tiered approach to AN removal has been successfully performed on many AN patients in New England with excellent success - defined as no tumor re-growth, ever.  With small AN tumors, physicians utilizing microsurgery are often able to completely remove the tumor, as I trust happened with you.  I'm scheduled for an updated MRI in April, which will tell me whether there has been any change in the remaining tumor.  Your upcoming MRI will also tell you if your doctor's optimisim is well-founded.  I sincerely hope that it is.  :)   

Jim

badkins:
I had my AN removed translab removed 1-10-06. They left a portion on my facial nerve and I was aware. My tumor did grow rapidly and I underwent gamma knife at UVA 9-29-06. Now we wait to see if this has worked to stop the growth. Best of luck to you.
Beth

ppearl214:
Hi Jim, if my short term memory serves me right, I believe jcinma (Jane) did the same, debulk and radio-surgery. I know she peeks here from time to time, so hoping she can also chime in (yeah, Jane, I owe you a Grey Goose!  :-* )

Phyl

--- Quote from: Jim Scott on January 13, 2007, 12:26:52 pm ---Kym:

I too had my AN removed via the retrosigmoid approach, but in my case, the neurosurgeon opted to 'de-bulk' the tumor (it was large) and purposely left about a third of it in place in order to avoid cutting/disturbing the cranial/facial nerves and the problems that can cause.  I came through the surgery with no real complications; no CSF leaks, facial paralysis, serious eye or swallowing difficulties, headaches, etc.  Three months following the surgery I underwent 5 weeks of FSR treatments to kill the remaining tumor cells.  No problems there, either.  This fairly recent, two-tiered approach to AN removal has been successfully performed on many AN patients in New England with excellent success - defined as no tumor re-growth, ever.  With small AN tumors, physicians utilizing microsurgery are often able to completely remove the tumor, as I trust happened with you.  I'm scheduled for an updated MRI in April, which will tell me whether there has been any change in the remaining tumor.  Your upcoming MRI will also tell you if your doctor's optimisim is well-founded.  I sincerely hope that it is.  :)   

Jim

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version