General Category > Hearing Issues

Getting evaluated for Transear this week!

(1/3) > >>

Cynaburst:
I had my AN surgeries (translab for a 3+ cm. tumor) and implantation of VP shunt for hydrocephalus 5.5 years ago. 

I have no hearing in my right ear, but have not wanted to go the BAHA route due to other health issues and plus I just did not want to have anything else implanted in my skull!  I have been getting by o.k., but I am excited by the prospect of hearing something on that side again.

Does anyone have any advice for someone starting down the Transear path?  I have read all of the old posts about the device and am really hopeful.

ixta:
I got it, ashamed to say I don't wear it that much due to being uncomfortable. I only wear it for business meetings or when in crowded auditoriums.

Or when I want my wife to whisper my name to hear the dead side "become alive" :D
Still waiting for insurance reimbursement come through since it was 3200.$

They will also give you a magic box to put it in at night. It is used to take moisture away from the surrounding air so it does not damage the delicate instruments.

I would think humidity would kill the transear.

Boppie:
ixta,
Go back to your audiologist and get the TransEar sanded and adjusted until it is comfortable.  You deserve to have it working without hurting!

One other point...I live in a totally humid climate.  Humidity doesn't interfere with my wearing it.  I put my TransEar in the Dry brick Sanitizer every time I wear it.   

Boppie:
Cynaburst,
On the TransEAr site (TransEar.com)  you search with the locator to sell you a TransEAr.
If you can't get your own ENT/audiologist to sell you one, TransEar can help you by email.  An an audiologist will test your hearing and certify your need and ability to wear a TransEar.  You are probably a good candidate.

Jeanlea:
It's interesting to see the different prices people have to pay for their TransEars.  I check with two places that were by me.  Neither of them were working with TransEar at the time, but they were both willing to check into it.  The one closest to me quoted me a price of $2900.  The one I ended up going to charged me $2400.  That price included everything except for the hearing test which was covered by my insurance. 

Jean

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version