Treatment Options > Radiation / Radiosurgery

What do you think?

(1/2) > >>

rcaldw:
I have had two MRI's since my radiation treatment.

The first showed significant darkness in the middle of the tumor, indicating effectiveness in the radiation treatment.
The second didn't show any growth, but it wasn't nearly as dark in the center.

The doctor recognized both of the things that I have just mentioned, so this was HIS observation.

He told me we would do another one in 9 months and see what happens.  He didn't characterize this as good or bad, just "what it is".

Question:  Do you think this indicates that I will eventually be dealing with regrowth?  Any opinions?  Anyone have a similar experience and it turn out well?

Betsy:
Hello and congrats on the good news!  No growth is what we ALL want to hear!

Did you have your MRI on the same machine?  Somewhere on this forum I've read that it's better to have scans on the same machine.

Either way, no growth is good news!  I'm so happy for you!

Betsy

aardvark:
Okay, I'm going to tentatively offer a possible explanation.  I say tentatively, because one of the irritating byproducts of my AN is that I disremember things sometimes.  So it's entirely likely that I'm just making this up, but here goes:

This thread triggered a "memory" of a conversation I had with my CK nurse at Stanford when we were viewing my MRIs - pre-op, 6-mo, and 12-mo.  In this flashback, she's pointing to the darkened necrosis at 6 months, and the LESS-dark area at 12 months (taken at the same MRI center) and she's explaining that as the tumor changes its cellular structure, it begins to appear white again on the film.  She goes on to say that if one waited too long to have a followup MRI, it might be difficult to know whether the tumor had undergone necrosis at all. 

Am I hallucinating?  Somebody help me out here.

linnilue:
U R not crazy.  It sounds exactly like a dying tumor or maybe  a dead one.  In fact, it sounds a bit like mine. 

BeJoi:
I've heard the same thing.  That first the tumor turns dark from necrosis but then when it's dead, it appears white.  Without opening up the area and looking directly at the tumor, I guess we can really never be sure what's happening.  And it must be confusing if we wait too long for any MRI.  I guess, the lack of any growth is probably the best marker long-term.

Beverly

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version