Treatment Options > Radiation / Radiosurgery

Vertigo and Radiation....worse after treatments???

(1/3) > >>

sloxana:
I am considering FSR at Vanderbilt for my 1.4cm AN, but I'm worried about my vertigo.  It seems to be getting worse and the last attack was while I was driving.  Talk about scarey!!  I'm worried now that I will have to give up driving but I am a mom of 3 whose kids are involved in many activiities after school and I need to be able to drive!  So here is my question....will the radiation make my vertigo worse or better?  I've read some conflicting posts about this and I'm really confused.  I don't want to have radiation if my vertigo will get worse afterwards.
Thanks so much for answering,
Susan

Richey:
I had GK for my small AN and I would have to say that for a very brief period my off balance feeling may have been a little worse. Weather it was due to the radiation, the meds., or just stress I don't know.
Now, my balance was my first indication that something was not right with me so this was my main problem going into treatment. Since the treatment that was a little over two years ago my balance has done pretty good. I think that your brain learns to compensate through your vision. My balance does not keep me from doing pretty much what I want to. I do have to be mindful about it when doing some things and it does tend to be a little worse if I am tired or stressed.

mema:
I think everyone is different in how any treatment effects them.  I had vertigo before radiation.  It didn't change.  It hasn't gotten worse just stayed the same  way it was before  my treatment.  When I last talked to my neuro-onycologist he made it seem like some people never loose their vertigo.                                                                                                       

mema                                                                                     

Betsy:
Hi Susan,

Like Richey, the only symptom I was aware of pre-diagnosis was vertigo.  Since April, my vertigo seems to be changing into a kind of unsteadiness, as if my brain is literally moving in my head.  In a way it's better than the vertigo, which literally had me on the floor, but the unsteadiness (for want of a better term) affects my life more because the episodes last longer and when they're happening I can't drive or do anything that involves moving my head.  The theory behind the change is that the nerves on the good side are beginning compensate for the one that has the AN sitting on it.  Nobody knows for sure, but that's what I'm choosing to believe!

I'll be having radiation treatment soon, using the Trilogy system.  The docs have all warned me not to expect an overnight improvement, but the consensus is that in time, my balance problems will most likely subside.  However, there is also a chance the radiation could cause the temporary swelling that Bruce mentioned.

It's absolutely terrifying to have vertigo while on the road.  It happened to me a couple times.  Doubly stressful for you since you're driving your kids.  It's probably a good idea to line up some back-up transportation just in case.  Are your kids old enough to understand what's happening?

The bottom line is, everyone is different and our treatment results are going to be different.  The best we can do is to learn as much as possible about our options and make sure we're comfortable with our decisions.  It looks like you're already on the right track!

Betsy

ppearl214:
Hi Susan,

I have to agree with mema... "individual results may vary".... I have had vertigo (slightly) initially post-CK but... I have another ailment (Chiari 1 Malformation) that can also throw things off, so for me, it's tough to say which brings it on.  My neuro-oncologist gave me vestibular exercises to do at home to help counter-act it (without the use of meds).  Maybe some research into some of these exercises would be of help.... just a thought.

Hang in there... and hoping your better days out-number your "not-so-good" days.

Be well,
Phyl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version