Post-Treatment > Headaches

Nocturnal headaches

(1/4) > >>

maarten:
I had the sub-occipital surgery about 6 months ago. I know that with this approach, some people get frequent and severe headaches, whilst others don't.

I notice that even though I can feel fine during the day, I tend to wake up almost every night, from a strong headache. Funny enough, this happens always between 05:00-06:00AM. Has anyone experienced something similar? I find it amazing how the timing of my sleep disturbance is so consistent.

Maarten

Omaschwannoma:
Hi Maarten,

I am in the same boat as you regarding surgery and the approach, but I am 2 + years post surgery.  I suffered with headaches and did find that in the night I would awaken with a headache.  I also began to notice my head pain was positional, i.e. depending on which side I would lay on my headache developed on that side, even headache would appear on the back of my head while reclining.  I still have headaches, on and off, and use ibuprofen as needed (I am not recommending this though).  I also have noticed I have similar symptoms that appear before the pain similar to migraines; i.e. pain in eyes, flashing lights, spots, rings that appear when my eyes are closed sometimes, stomach pain, blurring of vision sometimes, fullness (swelling sensation) to the back of my skull, etc.  I am hoping these go away completely over time as they once were daily 24/7 right out of surgery.  I hope you find relief sooner than I and perhaps an answer as to why nocturnal only?!  I have read migraines can start in the evening/sleeping hours at the same time too.  Maybe start a journal of what sensations you notice during the day and maybe you willl begin to see a pattern and can take something before you go to sleep to combat the inflammation so it doesn't wake you in pain?

maarten:
I experience headaches depending on my position, too. Interesting phenomenon.

Omaschwannoma:
I noticed also if my head is looking down while walking or too much of that position while in the garden working I will end up with headache.  So I am conscious of the position of my head.  Oddly enough I can bend forward while in my practice of yoga, but anytime I bring my chin to my chest, stretching out the back of the neck, for a period of time, the headache can appear.  I'm beginning to think it's not an issue of blood rushing to the head, as in forward bending or headstands as much as it is forward flexion of the neck....hmmmmm? The mystery continues. 

terracotta:
I can say this was a huge problem for me for along time prior to taking Cymbalta. Hope you can get this managed.
Terracotta

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version