Post-Treatment > Facial Issues

Hemifacial spasms starting 9 years post radiation

<< < (2/3) > >>

mwatto:
I do not have this. However in my case I get stabbing nerve pain and neck exercises have helped so much! I did post a link to ones I do - I feel that the neck may be involved - had neck stiffness post vax and covid and the ear pain is trigeminal - I feel our nerves are irritated. Maybe worth a try Magnesium and full spectrum CBD helps me. I read this today re compression of facial nerve: https://www.aaroncohen-gadol.com/en/patients/hemifacial-spasm/treatment/radiation-therapy

rebeccagreenberg:
Sorry to hear about your pain, and glad that the neck exercises help. Thankfully, I'm not experiencing any pain with my spasms or swelling.

I met with a new-to-me neurologist yesterday, and he did some tests in his office (e.g., watched me walk, stand with my eyes closed, close my eyes, etc.). He said that I have facial weakness on my right (AN) side and that the facial nerve had probably been damaged by the surgery and/or radiation, and as I’ve aged the nerves have gotten weaker. Unfortunately, he couldn’t explain the swelling under and over my eyes; I'm hoping a facial CT scan I have scheduled for next week will help diagnose that.

donjehle:
Please let us know what you find out, Rebecca!

rebeccagreenberg:
The CT scan didn't show anything that would cause the swelling. In a way I'm a little disappointed, but I'm also relieved. I think the neurologist's explanation of facial nerve damage caused by the surgery and the radiation, and then exacerbated by aging, makes sense. While I'm not happy living with the twitches, spasms, and swelling, I'm willing to accept this status as my new normal.

Thanks for all your concern and suggestions.

Dlip246:
Hi Rebecca,

I just saw your post.  Here is a link to my thread.  You can check it out and see what my experience has been.  I am still going through it :(.

Afterwards, if you would like, we can speak and maybe we can help each other. 

Wishing you the best...!

David

https://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=25259.msg979783259#msg979783259

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version