Treatment Options > Microsurgical Options

37 YR Male, 6.3cm AN, 4 surrounding cysts - post surgery success story Chicago

<< < (3/8) > >>

Jet747:
Here is my 4 month post retrosigmoid operation update.

Monday, I went in for my first post-op MRI (previously had a CT scan but you can't really see any details).

As you can see below the actual scar is healing quite nicely; which is great since I have a bald head.

The remaining shell of the tumor is approximately 2.8cm X 1.2cm X 2.7cm.  This might seem large but considering the starting size of the tumor it is quite small.  The Dr. removed the "guts" of the tumor and what remains is the outer shell which is collapsing on itself quite nicely.  The radiation will then be "shot" at the collapsed shell.

Gamma Knife radiation is now scheduled for October 30th and the Dr. is confident the radiation will kill and stop any future tumor growth.

I still have zero hearing loss, zero facial palsy - really no post-op issues to speak of.

The goal of my treatment plan has always been to take a conservative approach and to preserve hearing if possible.  There is still a chance hearing loss could occur sometime after the Gamma Knife radiation but the radiation is necessary to minimize the chance of tumor regrowth.

I have enjoyed having several phone calls with several people who have reached out to me via this forum.

Our cases might be very different and our outcomes might be slightly different but we are all human and need encouragement.

I am very glad to chat, text or e-mail with anyone who reaches out via e-mail.

My next update will be after the gamma knife experience.

I'm asking Blue Cross Blue Shield for an itemized billing statement (which I will post) as I believe this experience has now cost somewhere around $350,000; of which I paid a $2,000 deductible.  I have no idea how much the radiation treatment will cost but I'm glad I'm having it this year as I already met my health insurance out-of-pocket maximum.

MRI taken 9-14-15

image sharing

Scar, almost gone!

windows 7 screen shot

My wonderful daughter!!!

image hosting over 5mb

upload pic

keithmac:
Amazing changes!  What a large bill and still more to follow - good thing you have insurance cover.  A great outcome and you're well on your way to resuming an ordinary life.  That's what we here love to hear!!

Keith

GaryWNT:
So happy for you! I have a feeling that those last two pictures have a lot to do with your recovery and positive results . . . lots to live for!
Gary

MG:
Thank you for sharing your AMAZING positive outcome Jet! Best of luck with GK! Thanks also for sharing pictures of your family. Your baby is so cute!

MG

Jet747:
Update

Just finished with gamma knife.

All in not too bad.  The device they screw on your head hurts quite a bit but the procedure goes pretty quickly.  1.5 hours.

I left with a headache and I'm tired but I feel like the journey is finally winding down.

I have an MRI in 6 months to see how things are going.

Keep emailing me questions and I will keep responding!

Best wishes to you all!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version