Treatment Options > Microsurgical Options

translabyrinthine surgery?

(1/3) > >>

cherylann:
I was wondering what your outcomes/successes/problems were with translabyrinthine surgery was?  I realize everyone's story will be different but I need some reassurance right about now!  Thanks!  Cheryl

Greece Lover:
I did not have translab but I had middle fossa. Not sure what your concerns are.  My understanding is that the Translab  gives the best outcomes in terms of tumor removal and best facial outcomes.  The one drawback is guaranteed complete hearing loss. 

I don't know how different recovery might be from the various surgical approaches.  it's not easy, but its totally doable.  the body is amazing and heals so fast and well in the grand scheme of things.  You wake up with those balance nerves gone, which is tough, but the brain adjusts.

Good luck!

bri-82:
I had a translab in 2017 at Hopkins. I had already lost hearing in the ear from a prior surgery (same condition) so obviously hearing loss was not an issue for me. One issue you might ask about is whether the surgeons will harvest a fat graft from you to help plug up the entry to prevent CSF leak. A minor annoyance. I think at the time the overall message I interpreted was that the translab gives the surgeons good access and view of the nerves.

~BM

cherylann:
Just wondered how long you were all "out"? Being under anesthesia for 8-10 hours scares the crap out of me! Thanks for responding though! I guess I will just deal with everything.... Cheryl

bfoley:
Hi Cheryl!

Translab surgery 1/17/23 at MN Mayo with Dr Link and Dr Neff and teams.

This is after 2019 gamma treatment that failed. 

Happy to answer any questions. Feel free to email me. 

Surgery went well, I was under for 7-8 hours. I understand how nervous you are. My outcome was super positive. I am continuing to recover at home, and just got my stitches out by my primary care Dr today.

I had complete trust in my surgical teams. I pray you have the same!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version