General Category > AN Issues

Stop telling me to be grateful I'm alive!

<< < (2/3) > >>

ANGuy:
I'm going to be a little contrary to others in this thread.  Frankly, I think this type of thing IS normal.  48 and you need a nap, I've taken a nap every day of my life.  Tinnitus?  I've had tinnitus my entire life.  Both ears, even when I was 4 years old when I didn't know what it was.

Everybody has SOMETHING!  My mother had Grave's disease when she was 40.  Who gets that?  My father had prostate cancer.  My stepmother had lumps in her breasts that had to go and skin cancers that had to be cut out.  My stepfather has to take rat poison every day for his heart.  My mother-in-law had half her thyroid taken out, my previous MIL had her entire thyroid cut out.  Manic depressives, addicts, seizure disorders,  Traumatic battle injuries, people I had coffee with that were shot to death the next day, my playmate at age 5 who crashed and died on his bicycle, a teenager with pancreatitis, autism, ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease), multiple sclerosis, it goes on and on and these are all people I know personally.

mattp:
Mate, I'm 28 and half my face doesn't work - '**** happens' is my perspective. I have complete paralysis on my LHS. Not ideal for a 28 year old eh?

There's nothing you can do about what was in the past, so my advice is to look on the bright side and look at what your options are. I've replied to a few other people, and pointed out that I have had nerve surgery that has reanimated my face to the point that I can now smile if I bite down. There are ways to move forward and ways to alleviate your frustration. I'd suggest looking into those ways if your appearance or your pain is affecting you so much on a day-to-day basis.

Best of luck.

Matt

MDemisay:
Dear Unjaded and All,

All who were affected on this site can feel your pain to some degree! 

(I am not Bill Clinton!)

Who are the unaffected to tell us how we should be feeling? You are right to let them know, in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS that unless they have "walked in your shoes" that they should keep their opinions to themselves! That being said tell them directly what they can do to help you. Most people will correct themselves and apologize, if they have offended you. Or if they are acquaintances or "fast friends" they will adjust who "they" want to interact with. Be ready to be dropped, in fact expect it,

Life is sometimes cruel like that. It is something that is hard to learn, but it tells who is kind and who is not.

That can be a blessing, trust me! On this site, you will be BLESSED with kind and genuine people, THANK GOD! I do everyday!

Keep your personality intact and speak up to those who tend to diminish this accursed affliction! We will not be silenced!

Mike

Jill Marie:
Mike I agree, Who are the unaffected to tell us how we should be feeling? As you say until they "walked in your shoes" they can not fully understand what we have been through.  I realize that everyone has issues to deal with but that doesn't make what we are going through any easier.  Sometimes it nice to just be able to vent without being criticized for doing it.  Have a great weekend, Jill

MDemisay:
To all,

As far as I'm concerned everyone should be grateful that they're alive! It is too easy to say that!

A person who is not going through 'our collective pain" (those suffering through with whatever pain) shouldn't be placating others with a simple phrase like that, it's annoying and frustrating! It shows their simple stupidity. It is inane and should be challenged>

A simple "what the hell does that mean?" should do it.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version