General Category > AN Issues

new as AN patient

(1/4) > >>

MichelleN:
Like i said, I am new to this. I was just diagnosed in February and I am scheduled for surgery in April. I will be having my surgery at the University of Pennsylvania Hosp. I am confident with my doctors as they do these often. The difference is my head and my side affects.I am very concerned about the side affects of the surgery. I know I will lose all my hearing in the right ear, but I am concerned with facial paralysis and eye difficulties. I would like to hear some positive feedback since all I have been able to read is negative. SOME HELP PEASE.

Palace:
Hello:

I have read of successful surgeries but, what was the story on you?  Can you not consider the CK?  (or something else)  How big is that tumor, again?

You'll get there.  The deciding and waiting is sometimes the hardest part.

Palace

jtd71465:
I had surgery on January 10th this year.  I took no complications...face is fine...tumor was totally removed...I just have decreased hearing on my right side.  My surgery was only 3.5 hours long...I had it done at NYU Medical Center, if placed in the same situation I would not do anything differently.

I'm at 80-90% and getting better each day.

Stay positive, I also had the same issue prior to surgery...it seemed like everything I was reading was negative.

Joe-

rebarman:
Welcome to our "club" Nobody wants to be here, but you will find that the people here are friendly, knowledgeable, and always willing to lend support, information, or just a shoulder when you need to vent. I haven't been here that long, but I know without a doubt, that the information I received from the posters on this board before and after surgery made the whole process much, much easier.

Let me start by saying everyone one here is different, and their recovery/post-op experiences are just as different.

I had my surgery on Jan 29th of this year at Emory University Hosp. in Atlanta. My AN was only half (1.5cm) the size of yours, but here I am just shy of 6 weeks later and everything has returned to normal. In fact. it has pretty much been that way for 3-4 weeks now. 2 weeks after surgery, the DR's said that I was okay to drive as long as I used good common sense about it. Start out slow in areas with no traffic, build your way up. I had a slight facial paralysis but that has since gone away completely. My left eye did experience some dryness, but thanks to a heads-up from another poster on this board (Obita) I carried drops with me everywhere and that solved my problems. It still gets dry sometimes if I work longer than usual, or if I sit at the computer more than I probably should, but a few drops and all is well. Walking and balance has returned to pre-op capabilities.

As I said everyone is different and here's it to keeping my fingers crossed, that yours works out just as well.     

krbonner:
I had translab surgery (6 months ago next week) and you'd never know it.  No facial problems, no eye problems, no headaches (beyond normal for raising 2 energetic little boys!), no real balance problems, etc.  I am deaf on that side now, but I was 90% deaf pre-op.  Tumor is supposedly completely gone.  By 4 weeks post-op, I was about 80% recovered.  By two months, it was close to 100%.

While no one can guarantee a particular outcome for *you* (even if you do thorough research and select the treatment and physicians that are well qualified for your case), there are a lot of us around who have had no complications post-op. 

Good luck!

Katie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version