AN Community > AN Community

Anxiety Attacks ... how do you deal with them?

(1/4) > >>

joe94121:
i was just recently diagnosed with a 3 cm AN in my left ear ... (1 month ago) ... my surgeon recommeded the restros. / SO approach due to the size. I am getting daily anxiety attacks from thinking of the upcoming surgery (Dec. 5, 2006) Any advice on how to deal with them? Lots of things to deal with: work, house renovations, caring for an elderly parent, estate planning, spending 10 hours a day researching good MD and treatment methods and outcomes .. . should i be taking some anti-depressant / anti-anxiety meds? what about the dizziness? any exercise / diet to help that? Thanks.

Gennysmom:
Call your doctor...same thing happened to me and I got some Ativan and it worked wonders.   Deep breathing exercises help too, as did some meditation tapes I ordered.  It's very hard waiting for surgery...I waited 4 months, but the last two went by pretty quickly.  Hang in there!!!  We're all here for you to help keep you sane while you wait. 

Boppie:
Anxiety can keep you from sleeping and functioning in a safe way.  Go to your doctor.  Tell him the whole story.  You will be fine.  

My doctors offered help if I wanted it.  I can assure you I talked with other people first hand who took antidepressants and/or sleeping aids before their surgery.  Their outcomes were good.  You will be fine with or without the extra help but why suffer anxiety when you don't have to?.

Battyp:
Take daily walks to help calm you!  Sounds like you have a full plate.  Ask others to help you with the rennovations etc...I know for me I freaked over needing to do some house things that I just couldn't go into surgery without having done so a youth team from my church came to help and after I got my list done, my surgeon picked and my affairs somewhat in order I felt better.  Heck not to mention the steriod rush  LOL 

Boppie:
I want to add since your hearing loss is 5 years old you may be ahead of some folks in regaining balance post-op.  You may have compensated already.  The dizziness you have now could be related to anxiety itself.  Let people help you with the list of "must do".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version