Watch and Wait > For those in the 'watch and wait' status

2 yr wait and watch what next

(1/2) > >>

DHJ:
Do not know how much longer I can wait. Am going to MGH for 4th mri and am hoping my AN is still 2cm.We have had no measurable growth since it was discovered 2 yrs ago. Doctor McKenna at MGH is wonderful and will let me decide on treatment options.Currently experiencing Left sided hearing loss (not useful hearing) tinnitius,and minor balance issues. Why can I not make up my mind?? Any Ideas?

CHD63:
Hi Dave .....

As you have already noted, the decision-making process in this AN journey is one of the toughest parts to the whole thing.  Are your symptoms staying basically the same?  If so, and the upcoming MRI is still showing no change, it is probably safe to wait and watch until you have a change in symptoms or MRI.  As you have no doubt been doing already, doing your research and talking with all of the medical people/friends you trust is important, as well.  Then you need to listen to your inner self ..... are you comfortable waiting and watching or do you really want that AN out of there?  When you have done your homework,  answered those questions, and listened to your gut feeling, you will know what is right for you.  It really is your decision alone to make.  Dr. McKenna is highly respected so you are in good hands.

Let us know how this next MRI turns out.

Thoughts and prayers.  Clarice

Kate B:

--- Quote from: DHJ on August 29, 2009, 07:42:33 pm ---Do not know how much longer I can wait. Am going to MGH for 4th mri and am hoping my AN is still 2cm.We have had no measurable growth since it was discovered 2 yrs ago. Doctor McKenna at MGH is wonderful and will let me decide on treatment options.Currently experiencing Left sided hearing loss (not useful hearing) tinnitius,and minor balance issues. Why can I not make up my mind?? Any Ideas?

--- End quote ---

Gosh, it is understandable that it gets confusing.  The fact that we have options is a good but overwhelming double- edged-sword.

It may be as the symptoms progress you determine when it will be the right time. Typically what you have going into treatment is often what you have coming out.

I did put together a decision making chart... http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=9601.0

Kindest regards,
Kate

sgerrard:
If watch and wait is making you antsy, you probably aren't going to wait forever, in which case you might as well get on with it. There is nothing wrong with deciding that perpetual waiting is not for you, and that you want to do something about your AN now. As for which treatment to get, that is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. :)

Steve

suboo73:

--- Quote from: DHJ on August 29, 2009, 07:42:33 pm ---Do not know how much longer I can wait. Am going to MGH for 4th mri and am hoping my AN is still 2cm.We have had no measurable growth since it was discovered 2 yrs ago. Doctor McKenna at MGH is wonderful and will let me decide on treatment options.Currently experiencing Left sided hearing loss (not useful hearing) tinnitius,and minor balance issues. Why can I not make up my mind?? Any Ideas?
--- End quote ---

Hi Dave, 

I have been diagnosed under one year, so need to schedule my next (3rd) MRI in Oct. or so - in fact, have not done so yet. 
Am i getting lazy with my appointment making or just trying to avoid the whole thing?  I find the entire situation puts me in such a quandary!  ???
The first surgeon i visited said i should do something "right away" either surgery or radiation.  The radiation surgeon said i had plenty of time to decide, no rush. (same facility.)  The ENT said, if the AN gets to 1.5cm, i should 'do something.'  OH MY!

My biggest concerns if i wait are:  additional hearing loss, balance issues (nothing significant now), increased tinnitus, and any changes in our healthcare system making treatment options more difficult.  In other words, i guess i am 3/4 the way to treatment and am anxious to see the next MRI as well - just never put it in writing until now.  [And the anxiety prior to the appointment really gets me going, too!]  -- On the flip side, will treatment make any symptoms appear/get worse?  uurrrgggggghhhhhhh!

My spouse will not weigh in on the decision either - we have always decided our own medical issues, not always an easy task - and i definitely don't like this one.
------------------
My thoughts and prayers as you continue this journey.
I know by all others accounts, you have a great doctor - so hang in there, get the next MRI and i think you will know what to do then.

All my best from a fellow W & Waiter,
Sue

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version