General Category > Hearing Issues

Singing and music with one ear...

<< < (2/2)

mykey:
 I have been a guitarist/vocalist for 35 yrs. I was diagnosed this past Jan and I am having translab micro surgery on the 26th of this month.
There are a few things that I have noticed over the past 2 years or so and other symptoms that, in retrospect, I feel sure are associated with the partial hearing loss on my right side and the increased tinnitus.
 #1. My tolerance of loud confined places is ZERO.
2. I have a low hanging ceiling fan in my studio, in the past 3 years I have noticed that I can tune my guitar by ear in seconds (normal) if the fan is off. If it's on I have to use a tuner (abnormal) and even though it says I am A-440, the strings sound like they are harmonicaly conflicting with each other.
3. Like you, mostly my upper register is what has been lost. except for ultra high notes.
5. My ability to harmonize on command has dramatically improved over the past 5 yrs. Unfortunatley my vocal range has become more limited. That could just be age.

It is my hope that with the partial hearing being eliminated by surgery, I will have less distortion or warping of all sound waves and therefore less frustration and easier key recognition.
Who Knows?
I will be posting at this site asap after surgery and music will most likely be my main focus, As it has been al of my life.

HOWEVER!
I am also a realist and I understand that it is possible for the mechanical aspect of playing to be adversly affected by surgery. I hope that would be temporary.
I also know that there has NEVER been a reported case of a post-op patient losing their tinnitus.

So, stay tuned ladies and germs. Enjoy the "very real" reality hit show of going thru recovery "real time" with an AN post-op!!
It will probably be a HUGE bore like all the others.

Sound advice from,
Mykey

Boppie:
Mykey,  I've posted on this thread before.  I want to hear from you  ;D post op.  Some interesting things I learned at my first post op hearing test...I have upper range loss on my good side; I hear pure tones in the upper range; I don't hear the mixed tones or chorded sounds in the same range.  I hear mud.

Still singing and appreciating my hearing aid while I'm up there.

Good luck! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version