Treatment Options > Microsurgical Options

Has anyone retained their hearing after Middle Fossa surgery?

(1/2) > >>

Kate B:
Since Middle Fossa surgery is used as a hearing preservation treatment, my question is to find out if anyone on this site actually retained usable or serviceable hearing after surgery according to Gardner-Robertson? (see definitions below)

Hearing preservation has three defined states:
maintenance of hearing within the same hearing class,
preservation of hearing at a "useful" or "serviceable" level (Gardner-Robertson score of 1 or 2), and
maintenance of some measureable hearing function.

marymomof3:
Hi Kate.  I had middle fossa a little more than 2 weeks ago and the surgeons preserved my hearing.  I can even talk on the phone on the AN ear.
Mary

Kate B:

--- Quote from: marymomof3 on April 05, 2008, 07:41:28 pm ---Hi Kate.  I had middle fossa a little more than 2 weeks ago and the surgeons preserved my hearing.  I can even talk on the phone on the AN ear.
Mary

--- End quote ---

Mary,
That is great news.  I am glad to "hear" about your preservation.

Kate

Raven:
I had lost all my hearing on the left side over night, so nothing to preserve there except the hearing nerve which they did (for a possible cochlear implant). Two days before the surgery for the left side, I lost about 60% on the right side over night. So eight days after the first surgery I had surgery done on the right side, bone decompression thru middle fossa. Right side hearing came back to 82%, I actually think it improved even more since my last hearing test.

I met someone thru this forum that had middle fossa and they preserved all of her hearing, she had the same Dr. as I did.

John

vcschaub:
I had middle fossa surgery in Nov 2005. I retained my preop hearing level. My surgery was at House/St Vincent's with Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version