Treatment Options > Microsurgical Options

Sorry, can I whine a minute...what to do, what to do

(1/4) > >>

cindyj:
To give a brief recap, I have consulted w/ several doctors here in GA, all whom have said, "Your choice"  and last night I heard from HEI...he also said my choice, but that if surgery (which is what he would do), he recommends Translab...wow

I know you all have been thru all of this and I know it's my choice and my AN is not an emergency situation.  But...gee, I am really at a complete loss for what to do.  I have read from posts here that we'll know what's right at some point and I will feel at peace about it, but I think I'm just getting myself more confused.  I think I need to decide which treatment I think is right and THEN find the appropriate and best team for that treatment approach.  Does that sound reasonable?  I think previously I was just hoping that one doctor would stand out that I really liked, and I would rule other options out that way.

Anyway, I'm really just "talking out loud" and know you guys can't find the answer for me, but thanks again for all of you that participate and give of your time so willingly to help others.

Cindy

OMG16:
You are still very early in the process and it is completely normal to be even more confused at first.  Give it time, continue your research and write a list of pros and cons to help you along with the process.  You are right that only you can decide what is best for you.  However you can post the different options and see what others have to say about their experiences to help you come up with your pros and cons list.  Hang in there and yes it will become clearer as time goes by.  Kisses to your forehead.   :-* 16

ppearl214:
cindy, this may not help but maybe it will.

when I was in your shoes 2 yrs ago, just like you, I was completely overwhelmed during the decision making process. I reached out here, publically, to find some sort of sanity during the process.... so, here's the link.. and as you will see, folks gave great insight into handling the overwhelming info, they shared gawd-love-'em humor and most of all, such compassion that I was absolutely bowled over.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=847.0

so, it may be worth a peek on how to deal with this decision making process. For me, I know what was shared with me in the thread certainly help bring me peace of mind and soul and when it came down to it... I knew in my soul of souls I was doing what was right for me and my situation.  My hope is that it also helps to bring you peace of mind as well......

Hang in there... you will know what is best for you.....
Phyl

leapyrtwins:
Cindy -

IMO, some docs typically chose the approach they do the most and are the most comfortable with, which may be why the doc at HEI suggested translab.   This is much like doctors who only recommend surgery - not radiation - because that is all they do.  In a way, it makes perfect sense.

But, this is only my opinion and I could be completely off base here.  Did you ask the doc @ HEI why he would be translab as opposed to middle fossa or retrosigmoid?  Maybe there are reasons related to your symptoms or AN location that makes him feel that translab would be the best option. 

I think that your first step should be deciding if you want surgery or radiation and then go from there.  Listing the pros and cons of each treatment, like OMG suggested, is an excellent idea and may make things clearer in your mind.  If you should decide on surgery, then you can move on to deciding which approach you want to have and go from there. 

Everything can be so overwhelming when you're diagnosed with an AN.  Try to take things one step at a time,

Jan

Jim Scott:
Hi, Cindy:

Of course it's your decision and, as you correctly stated, we can't make it for you.  However, it's perfectly natural to feel conflicted when presented with a variety of options to treat a fairly serious condition that will have to be addressed in the near future.  Sometimes its a good idea to 'step back' and analyze your situation with a bit of dispassion, if possible.  You do have some time so I would suggest that you use it to your advantage, as you seem to be trying to do.  Don't despair, Cindi.   

For a small AN, my personal choice would probably be for radiation, mostly to avoid the hassle of surgery, hospitalization and a longer recovery.  However, radiation, while non-invasive, is not risk-free, as any radiation oncologist (and some AN radiation patients) will tell you.  The key is to (a) feel confident about the option you choose, and (b) feel just as confident about the doctor you choose. 

Life is a risk and AN surgery and/or radiation to rid ourselves of the tumor is another risk, but one we have to take at some point.  That is the reality we all have to face.

Don't rush into anything but understand what you're opting for (surgery, radiation, both) and be prepared to do everything possible on your part to insure a good outcome.  That includes choosing a doctor and facility that has vast experience with AN surgery or radiation procedures applicable to acoustic neuromas.  Doing that will help you feel more in control and boost your confidence somewhat.  Being realistic and realizing that this is a veritable minefield no matter path you choose is also a necessity, Cindi.

We're here to listen, advise or simply empathize, as you need us.  We want you to do well and be O.K.  I think you will be.  :)

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version