Treatment Options > Microsurgical Options

It is over & PattyCake is still here

(1/2) > >>

pattycake:
 :D  With deep regrets I am sending out a Mass Mailing for many thank yous - Prayers, support, food, little happy notes & good thoughts;  you all know what you did for us.  And it makes my cry to think of all your kindnesses. The day of surgery & ICU is better gotten from Joe - I don't remember a lot of it which is a very good thing. Typical of me, I got very nauseaus & had a hard time gaining energy for the come-back  Treatening to send me to rehab was a good move though :-)   Actually, once you get on your feet & get the walkers & cane the Steroids kick in. You think you are better than you feel. I had surgery on Friday March 14 at MassGeneral/MEEI with Barker & McKenna.  There just is no better team,  Barker seems always to be inventing new ways to get in & out of the brain without extra trauma.  I had the best care from the best Doctors, to all the Nursing staffs, to the PCAs.  A friend described it to me as looking for a place where they do these techniques 2 years before others try it out.  It was a big stretch for me to believe that medicine is not the same everywhere in the US - but there certainly are better places. I still cannot believe that I drove over 100 miles home OK - the tricks shared from here were to get a great Neck Support Pillow and a blindfold.  It really helped keep keep me calm.  The greatest pain I felt was just being wheeled down the floors in the wheelchair if you believe that?  I had not been aware of the quiet environment before I first felt movement.  Once on the road it was easy.  My neighbors organized a dinner calendar when we got home, which Joe resisted - but after all the local therapy, cleaning, medications etc... it has proved to be a godsend. I don't know the details till follow up visits - but generally was 1.8cm x 1.4 cm beforehand.  If you can believe the nerve of my body?  I was originally scheduled 2/1/08 - developed bronchial asthma flu thing & had to wait another 6 weeks. But I will add that it gave me daily lenten masses to keep me calm --- and if you have a chance or inclination --- try Reiki healing the day before. I was so calmed by the process  (Hartford Hospital uses this in the alternative Cancer Care). 

I hope you let me stay with you guys - I had a Meningioma - not an AN.  I had Retro-Sig because I really have decent hearing left (about 90% for sound.  Still need final testing in a few weeks for word recognition.)   They kept ALL of my nerves in tact - vestibular, facial & hearing.  My hearing is no better nor worse than it was before.  Easy to say now that it's over, but I do think the worry was worse than the surgery! I did not LIKE making all my own decisions -- and then I did not LIKE looking out of town for surgeons.  But Please strongly consider that if you are moving along these lines.  Meningioma has a higher recitivism rate - so I'll save Radiation for the next time if it comes back in several years (10%).  I have a gut feel so I just went with it for my later resort.  How great will medicine be by then!  When I'm on my feet I'll be happy to be a local advocate for questions .... I couldn't stay OFF this site when I was first diagnosed, then I had to get away from it because I got pretty scared.  But thank you all (especially Katie) for my last minute Q&A.  Seems like everyone's case is just a bit different & nobody wants to say too much - statistics are pretty positive though - and luckily I have so far been OK.  I know sliding backwards can happen - but then there's always the march forward again isn't there.  I livein mid-CT, try to get to Hartford Grps & occassionally to the Worcester breakfasts.  Thank you all, you are the ones who really know.  Everyone else wants to help - but you KNOW!!   HAPPY SPRING!!! 

krbonner:
It's so great to hear from you.  And please do stick around!!

Keep resting, and keep letting others take care of you!

Katie

Kaybo:
Glad you are on the road to recovery!
K

leapyrtwins:
Pattycake -

Katie told us your surgery went well, but it's good to hear from you "in person"  :)

Sounds like you're moving in the right direction and on the road to recovery.

Keep up the good work,

Jan

Brendalu:
Pattycake,
You sound great, no matter what your surgery was for.  Keep up the great recovery and let us know how it is going.  We are still her for support and I don't think anyone is going to give you the "boot"!
Hugs,
Brenda

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version