Watch and Wait > For those in the 'watch and wait' status

Future MRI's

(1/3) > >>

Jackie:
Hi All my fellow Aner's,

Just wondering if all future MRI's should be done with contrast??? I know initially it should be, but wondered if that little injection can be a hazard to our health?? Anyone care to comment since my next MRI is sceduled for July 6th, and I am not sure if it has been oredered with or without contrast, but will make a recommendation after I hear what you all have to say!
Thanks in advance for your wisdom............
Jackie

Mickey:
Hi Jackie! My Dr. insists on with contrast. I do an open mri and all goes well. They can get a better read with contrast. Good Luck, Mickey

Jim Scott:
Hi, Jackie:

Because contrast clearly shows the AN, it would seem as if a doctor would want it used to highlight any possible growth. I would ask for it - or at least ask the doctor's office if the MRI was ordered with contrast.  If not, tell them you want it and check with the MRI facility to be sure that on your appointment, it shows that contrast was ordered.  Just a suggestion.

Jim

lori67:
Jackie -

I think many places are doing a blood test prior to the MRI with contrast.  I've heard some do it routinely, and others do it only if you have a history of liver and kidney problems or if you've had any abnormal lab results on your most recent round of labwork.  I think if everything is working properly, then the small amount of dye they use will be cleaned our of your system with no lasting side effects.  It's people who don't have properly working "plumbing" that may not be able to get all the dye out of their systems.

I think, like most medical procedures, the benefit of the dye outweighs the risks.  I'd ask your doctor his thoughts.

Lori

leapyrtwins:
Jackie -

from what I understand contrast is necessary to have an accurate result. 

Most places these days do blood tests - specifically BUN and creatinine which measure kidney function - prior to MRIs with contrast.

I had my first post op MRI in April and about 2 hours prior to being put into the "tube" I had my blood drawn so they'd have the test results before they did the MRI with gadolinium.

Jan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version