Watch and Wait > For those in the 'watch and wait' status

Doctor says 1-year follow up MRI shows no change

(1/4) > >>

frank:
Hi all:
Today I went to my local ENT doctor for a discussion of the results of my 1-year MRI. The AN now shows dimensions of 10x5x5 mm vs 8x5x6 mm a year ago. A hearing test showed a slight loss in one of the upper frequencies but was otherwise the same as before.
The doctor analyzing the MRI indicated that the AN is unchanged in size in comparison to the prior MRI. Both MRIs were performed at the same place but the doctors who wrote the reports were not the same.
My ENT doctor is sending my MRI and hearing test results to a neurosurgeon whom we have used as a consultant. My ENT has additionally scheduled me for another hearing test in 6-months and is suggesting another MRI about a year from now.
I would like to believe that I have received good news . But after reading other posts regarding interpretation of MRI results, I am now not so sure. Would appreciate any comments.
frank

ppearl214:
Hey Frank,

Actually, IMO, it is.

It is known that head MRI's have a margin of error of approx +/- 2mm, so if your earlier films showed at 8x5x6 mm and now at 10mm (1cm), you do fall in that margin of error.

your dr is also correct in noting that different dr's will measure them differently.  My neuro-onc and my radio-onc are always off-kilter when they measure mine (yet, they are on the same team!)... but usually not by much.  Also, different MRI machines, different "reads" of the films, different view "slices",  etc, can all come into play.

IMO, you are still in great shape. Other than slight hearing loss, I'd honestly say you did get good news.

But again, that is just me.  Hang in there!
Phyl

Mickey:
Sounds like pretty good news to me! From what I here there is a chance that some AN`s run their course and pretty much stabilze especially as we get older. I`m also hoping this be the case with my AN which who knows how long I really have had it. Diagnosed last year MRI this year "stable". Good Luck, Mickey

Mark:
Frank,

I would agree with all the points Phyl raised because I usually do and she is usually right  ;)

For the reasons she listed, I think waiting another year is a prudent path for you to take as well. However,in my view,  I would add the word "cautious" in front of "good news" or at least term it a "neutral". While the "margin of error" perspective is reasonable, the other view would be that AN's typically growth 1-2 mm per year which your MRI results would support plus you did have a slight decrease in hearing in the same period. So either scenario is possible from what I see, no change due to margin of error or a normal expectation of progression for the AN in that time period. Don't mean to throw a negative out there, but I think continuing to be attentive and establish one more data point next year is a good approach. If it stays plus or minus in the same range and hearing doesn't change then I would feel pretty good that it's stable and the variations are measuring related. If hearing continues to diminish next year or the there is another 1-2 mm increase, then I would feel less confident.

Good luck

Mark

ppearl214:
*slips Mark $10 bill* ;)

Thanks Mark... and Frank, Mark's elaboration certainly makes sense. During that time of watch/wait for me, after the initial MRI's, I gathered/armed myself with all info I could... so, when the time came for me when the dr said "ok, Phyl, time to act on it", I was fully aware of options and able to ask questions on the spot.  Please be the best, well-informed patient you can be during this further "wait" time.... and most of all, hang in there.

Phyl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version