Pre-Treatment Options > Pre-Treatment Options

Surgery Preparations

(1/4) > >>

jimmy r:
I am having surgery a week from today. Any suggestions on pre-surgical preparations? I know not to take Aspirin or Aspirin related products for week prior. This was all that Dr barkers office recomended. House gave me 3 pages of banned substances and recommended Phisohex. i lost the instructions but i think that I am supposed to wash my surgical area a few days before surgery. Any House people remember the details? They also gave me a prescription for something but I forget what - need to check at the pharmacy as i never picked it up when my first surgery was canceled. I plan on lots of excercise, adequate sleep., healthy eating and a small dose of fun to put me in a positve frame of mind. Of course  this  between the millions of things i need to do to prepare to be out of commision for about a month    or longer.

jerseygirl:
Jimmy,

I will also have surgery for recurrence soon (6/27) and wish you the best of luck. What day is your surgery? My recurrence is a little  smaller than yours and I have the same plan for the damned tumor: try another surgery and then very likely radiation. My first surgery was in 1988 at NYU for a 6x3x3 cm tumor. From what I heard, your team is extremely experienced so you are in good hands. Keep us posted as soon as you can!

Eve

krbonner:
I still have the paperwork from MGH.  Have you had your pre-op appts yet?  (Chest xray, bloodwork, EKG, etc.)

Here's what they told me:
- no aspirin for 7 days pre-op
- no vit E or herbal supplements for 7 days pre-op
- no ibuprofen/Aleve/anti-inflammatories for 3 days pre-op
- nothing by mouth (no water, candy, mints, gum, etc.) after midnight the night before the surgery

That's it.  They take care of everything else once you're admitted.  And the surgical area will be cleaned and shaven once you're under anesthesia (the docs don't like it if you shave it yourself, apparently).

You're in good hands at MGH.  Try to relax (much easier said than done, I know!) and you'll soon be through it.

I'll be thinking of you on Monday!
Katie

tony:
Firstly good luck on the day, and
Something they (the hospitals)  miss sometimes, is the Herbal Type remedies
many of which cause the blood to thin
or reduce the clotting (St Johns Wort & Ginko for example)
OK in normal life - not so good when surgery is planned
Maybe a good idea to recheck your "Health" cabinet
and stop taking anything that falls into this category
Again
Have a speedy recovery
Best Regards
Tony

neal r. lyons:
HELLO PEOPLE!  JIMMY AND JERSEY GIRL-OUR BOATS ARE  NEARLY TOGETHER.  I GOT A SURGERY DATE AT THE HOUSE CLINIC ON JUNE 22 AT NOON.  WE HAD A SMALL COMMO PROBLEM BUT I FIXED IT WITH A FAX.  I'D SENT A MESSAGE LAST WEEK ASKING TO BE CONTACTED BUT IT GOT OVERLOOKED!  ANYHOW ALL IS WELL.  I'M FLYING TO LAS VEGAS FROM PASCO, WA.(ALLEGIANT AIR FOR 69.00), SPENDING ONE NIGHT AND REPORTING TO HOUSE ON JUNE 20.  (PRE-OP ON 21ST) 
     ACTUALLY, I'M NOT SURE WHERE WERE STAYING YET.  I'LL BE WITH MY SISTER AND NIECE.  IT WILL EITHER BE AT ST. VINCENT'S SETON GUEST HOUSE               IF THERE IS AVAILABILITY OR AT THE NEW OTANI HOTEL WHICH OFFERS FREE SHUTTLE TO THE HOSPITAL.  IS ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH THE NEW OTANI?  I CHECKED ON IT AND IT WAS 115.00 PER NITE.  I'LL TRY FOR THE SETON GUEST HOUSE.
     MY SURGEONS WILL BE BRACKMANN AND SCHWARTZ.  RITA(SCHEDULING) CAUGHT ME OFF GUARD WHEN SHE ASKED ME IF A HAD A PREFERENCE FOR SURGEONS.  I KNEW THAT DR. BRACKMANN WAS ONE BUT HE TOLD ME HE WOULD BE WORKING WITH EITHER HITSELBERGER OR SCHWARTZ.  ANYWAY, I WOULD HAVE BEEN HAPPY WITH EITHER, BUT IT WAS NICE TO HAVE A CHOICE.
     BEST WISHES!  NEAL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version