Pre-Treatment Options > Pre-Treatment Options

CT scan or MRI?

(1/4) > >>

TJ1855:
I may be a little premature in writing this as I only have been diagnosed via symptoms and audiogram tests.  My ENT sent me for a CT scan due to my defibrilator preventing me from getting a MRI.  Question is...Can a CT scan catch an AN 100%?  Symptoms are gradual left hearing loss, bad tinnitus, and 2 severe occurances of vertigo/sweating/nausea.  CT scan was without contrast.

ppearl214:
Hi TJ and welcome.  CT scans really aren't that great for diagnosing AN's as an MRI with contrast is the test of choice... given you have other issues to contend, please check with your referring physician.

Again, welcome.
Phyl

krbonner:
My understanding is that you really need an MRI with contrast to definitively diagnose an AN.  Even MRIs without the contrast can miss them, or you might not see the entire AN.  That being said, a CT can possibly catch the AN; but a negative CT might be a false negative.  I don't know what the other options are for someone with a defibrillator.  Can you cardiologist give a recommendation for how to approach these tests?

I hope you can get answers!  Good luck!

Katie

P.S.  Caveat - I am not a doctor!!   ;D

Windsong:
didn"t catch mine ..... on the CT (s)....

I think an mri with contrast is the best for a diagnosis....

Sue:
I had a CT scan and my doctor said, quote You don't have a tumor endquote. But I doubt he was even looking for an AN anyway.  Then more symptoms appeared and I finally got my MRI (yes, with contrast) and there it was in all it's glory.

Good luck,

Sue in Vancouver WA

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version