General Category > AN Issues

Long term effect of Radiation on hearing

(1/3) > >>

Pablo:
So I'm six month after FSR. My six month hearing test shows a significant hearing loss in the high frequencies (4,000 HZ and up). I have read that radiation affects mostly high frequencies so I'm currently assuming that the hearing loss is due to radiation and not to the tumor growing (my last MRI shows no size changes before MRI, or it's even slightly smaller [ but this is arguable]).

I was wondering if anybody has some information as to by when should be expected the full long term effect of radiation in hearing after treatment , I mean nerve cells start dying  after treatment, but I assume the effect is no immediate. Is six or seven month a reasonable time to believe that no  further hearing loss will be present in the near future? Has someone been checking this?

I use this link to perform hearing tests on a monthly basis, it is very usful and it is free.

http://www.digital-recordings.com/hearing-test/ht-products.html

Thanks in advance for any info about this.

Pablo

Lorenzo:
Hi Pablo, My own experience showed a 5% loss from before treatment bringing me down to 75% hearing loss in total. This showed up at the six months audiology test. It hasn't changed since, two years post treatment.
Ciao, Lorenzo

Pablo:
Thanks Lorenzo for your response. It looks like that hearing is impacted after treatment after all. I had about 35 dB lost in the high frequency range but now it is 55 dB. For some reason mid freqs haven't been affected so much. Your case seems very extreme, sorry to hear that. I guess everyone has to pay with hearing loss no matter what type of treatment you go through. I hope others can also share similar information as well.
Ciao
Pablo

Lorenzo:
HI Pablo, Well, not that extreme. I had 70% loss before treatment, now I have 75%, so gone down by 5%. Not that bad. Either way, it's useless now. Wasn't really my reason for going the CK route, I just didn't want to get surgery. Felt more comfortable with radiosurgery.
Ciao
Lorenzo

Pablo:
Sorry I misinterpreted your explanation (as showing 5% loss, I thought you were 95% hearing before treatment ).
Agree, it's not bad at all.
Thank you for clarifying this for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version