General Category > AN Issues

Fosamax pills

(1/4) > >>

Palace:
 ???

Hello:

I have heard so much about Fosamax being the "horror pill," now........afraid to keep taking it.  What does anyone know about this pill?  I stopped taking it for a couple of months before Cyberknife.  Anyway, I just took my last pill and I might not refill the prescription.  (70 mg)  I had a dental implant when I broke my molar in half eating popcorn. (about eight years ago, I think.......something like that)  The implant is the last tooth, upper right.......near my Acoustic Neuroma.  Professionals are still discovering things about that pill.  There are problems if you are taking that bone-building-med and have say, dental surgery.  What kinds of problems are they running into?  It is all new to me hearing problems with the pill.  I have been taking it probably even when I had the implant!  It is a wonder I didn't get an infection with the extraction, from the buzz/talk going around about Fosamax.  I will call my dentist soon and ask but, they aren't there today and over the holiday weekend.  Does anyone know?  I'm sure anyone having invasive AN surgery, was told not to take that pill.

Any information on this would be interesting and appreciated.  My surgeon thought I might choose the invasive surgery since I was a AN borderline case but, I chose the Cyberknife and now back on Fosamax.  I have small bones!

Yes, I was wondering about tumors and Foxamax, etc.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL,  8)

Palace

ppearl214:
Pal,

Dr's have also noted Fosamax to me as well, but not on it... will monitor this thread to see what others have to say..... and, btw, also broke a molar on popcorn... nice "cap" in place of it now....

Phyl

Boppie:
Good topic...

I'd like to hear more on this subject.  Specifically, I'd like to learn about possible connections (if any) between tumors and Fosamax. 

I should be on Fosamax but have avoided taking it.  There is osteo in my family.  Even so, I have issues with taking a long term med that has "bad news" stories...Been there, did that with 8 years of HRT.  I was told I would be on it for life!  Well, that was unwise. 

Battyp:
Interesting...I don't take fosamax but do boniva.  Was actonel before.  started with osteopenia after breaking both feet.  I thought I read somewhere there is some sort of correlation with AN's and osteo stuff.  Will have to jog my memory..that'll be a tough one  LOL  Haven't heard any horror stories bout fosamax but wasn't told not to take my actonel or boniva before surgery.

Jim Scott:
For what its worth:  when I had my AN surgery pre-op tests, a CAT scan noted some 'thinning' of my ribs.  Post-op, I had a bone density test and - sure enough - my ribs were a bit less 'dense' than they should have been.  My PCP recommended Fosamax but it was expensive - and I wanted to investigate it a bit.  I've decided against it as I have had extensive periodontal work done, have some very expensive bridgework and after many years of dentist visits, finally got my remaining teeth and my peridontal condition in good shape.  I don't wish to jeopardize any of that just to address a relatively minor bone loss issue that I can easily live with.  I have read that the makers of Fosamax are being sued based on instances of 'jawbone death' connected to Fosamax use.  That is scary - and as my bone condition is minor, I'll pass on the Fosamax, thanks.

Time Heals

Jim[/color]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version