AN Community > AN Community

Five Long Years - A Poem

<< < (2/3) > >>

MG:
Hello G-Man,
Unfortuantely  I live in a small town in central Fl. and the nearest support group is in Gainesville. It's about 3 hours away and most meetings are in the evening so I can't go all that way. I will just keep reading the posts on the forum and try to keep positive vibes going! :)
Take care, MG

G_Man:
M.G.
I fully understand your situation.  I almost moved to Southwest FL.  Then I realized that life would be pretty dull as a non-driver. 
One very worthwhile part of the website is the recordings of the last symposium.  I attended the previous symposium and it was really worthwhile.
G_Man

MG:
Thank you G_Man, I will tune in.
MG

EzGee:
Need guidance please - back in 2011 I lost hearing in my left ear and was "diagnosed" with an eroded stapes.  Surgery to replace it revealed a facial neuroma.  Subsequent testing found a loss of taste, with developing dizziness, etc.  A second surgery to confirm isolated a left side FN (don't remember the size).

Since then, I've opted not to have further MRIs/CTs due to radiation exposure issues (numerous other ones due to loss of right eye over time).

My current problems:  1)  I fear my hearing is overall degraded (both ears); is this possible?  2) and most important, I've developed in the past three weeks a definite pain in my entire lower jaw that at time borders on paralysis.  Is this a symptom of advancing FN?

Thanks for any and all replies ... GL

CHD63:
Hi EzGee .....

It is good that you have posted your concerns regarding your symptoms.  You might want to also start a new topic in the post-treatment area to have more people see your questions.

Two things come to mind when reading your post:

1) MRIs do not use radiation (they use magnetic resonation), but CT scans do include radiation.

2) All 12 cranial nerves originate at the brain stem so the vestibular/cochlear, facial, and trigeminal nerves are all very close together at that point.  Depending upon where your tumor(s) is located and/or its size, you could have symptoms involving any or all of these nerves.  The facial nerve involves facial function and the trigeminal nerve involves the sensation/feeling in the face.  See:  http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/brain_spinal_cord_and_nerve_disorders/cranial_nerve_disorders/overview_of_the_cranial_nerves.html

I urge you to call your doctor and share your additional/increasing symptoms and see what he/she says.

Best thoughts.  Clarice

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version