General Category > AN Issues

Chris Update

<< < (2/4) > >>

lmurray69:
Chrismom ,I am so glad for him that he went fishing.. I am in Missouri and it is to cold to go to the creek. Ha ha , Yes we should see what a good luckin guy you have .. Linda

MCLARKE46319:

Chrismom

My 25 yr old daughter had her tumor removed Jan 3rd of this year.  Her face is still paralyzed and she is having eye troubles and trouble swallowing, well she only swallows thickened apple juice.  When did Chris have his surgery?  Was his tumor a large one?  Does he have trouble swallowing?

Sorry for all the questions but I know everyone progresses at their own speed but I like to read the success stories here so I can encourage my daughter. 

Thanks for any answers you can share with me.

Maureen

Crazycat:
Great news about Chris! Also, keep appealing the SSDI claim. Put it in the hands of a lawyer if need be. It will eventually go through. It just takes time.

Paul

superrmaren:
great news about chris!  i am from pa., too!  i think i had my surgery a little after chris and read every word of his story!

MAUREEN -- i am 23 - not too far from your daughter's age. i had surgery 7 months ago for a large tumor...i promise it gets better!  i'm not back to 'normal' yet, but working hard!  it feels like a never-ending battle. feel free to drop me a line -- or your daughter!  superrmaren@hotmail.com

xox

chrissmom:
Maureen,
I certainly understand what you are going thru.  Yes, Christopher had all those things.  The swallowing problems were mostly while he was in the hospital.  About 3 weeks after the surgery he was able to eat thicker foods.  The water was a problem going down because it is fast and he couldn't feel it so they started him with thicker liquids and water-based liquids came last.  He had swallowing tests done daily.  He gradually came back from that problem.

The eye problem goes with the facial paralysis.  While in the hospital, several days after the second surgery to get the tumor, they took Chris to the ophthamologist and a gold weight was placed in his eyelid.  Even though he had muscle-tone at the time, the doctor knew he would need it and sure enough he did.  The gold weight closes the eye, you can't see it at all.  It will improve the appearance of the eye.  I'm glad he had it done.

The facial paralysis:  3 months after the tumor surgery, the doctor did a jump graft.  He took a very small piece of the hypoglossal nerve and connected it to the facial nerve.  This is expected to reanimate the face.  After 4 months, we are beginning to see results.

His tumor was 5.3 cm- a monster.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version