General Category > AN Issues

Price of MRI's

(1/5) > >>

Sue:
I've found that there is a really broad spectrum of pricing for MRI's of the brain.  Since we have a big deductible, I decided to ask around for the best price.  One place was $2500 and one place was $2100.  Then my friend had a sudden dramatic (as it turns out) migraine and since she'd never had one before she had an MRI at the new hospital north of here and she told me the bill she got was for $7100!  Yikes.  $5000 difference from one facility to another.  Double yikes.   How much was everyone elses's MRI?  Just curious.

Sue in Vancouver, USA

Derek:
Hi Sue...

That is 'crazy' money!!

I cannot see how they can justify charging that amount. In the UK a full  MRI scan of the brain with contrast and carried out in a private hospital is £395, which converts to $771, and includes a full report from a neuroradiologist...quite a difference! Even at your lowest quote of $2100 (£1074) you could fly to the UK, have an MRI scan, enjoy a bit of a holiday and still have change in your pocket when you got back home! As for $7k+!!!!!!!!!

Regards

Derek

Jim Scott:
I live in Connecticut.   The cost of my initial MRI (the one that 'found' my AN) was $5,500.  That was in May, 2006.  I had a $500. deductible. 

Once my deductible was met, I had a 10% co-pay to deal with from that point on.  Before very long, I had surpassed the $2,500. limit on 'out-of-pocket' expenses my policy dictated and Blue Cross paid everything connected with my surgery and radiation treatments at 100% - almost $100,000., including all the hospital charges and physician's fees.  I had two more MRI scans last year and I'm scheduled for another in April.  As this is a new calendar year, that means another $500. bill.  However, both my neurosurgeon and I want the MRI and I'm thankful I have the medical insurance that pays 90% of the huge expense incurred by having that crucial MRI scan (with contrast).   ;) 

Incidentally, most hospitals will accept monthly payments for their charges, as long as you can pay off your bill in 12 months (and don't miss any payments).  I'm doing this and I've almost paid off my obligation for the bill I incurred for my 2006 AN surgery, (the portions not covered by Blue Cross).  I was pleasantly surprised at the hospital's willingness to 'work with me' on my bill.  I can't guarantee that all hospitals will be as cooperative but it's certainly worth a try.   

Bottom line: MRI scans are expensive.

Jim

Obita:
Hi Sue:

I just looked up my MRI from May 1, 2006.  The bill was $3,629.00 and Blue Cross/Blue Shield of MN paid $1,925.64 as their allowed amount.  This should be an interesting thread.

Kathy

Chambo:
Here in Australia, if you use a Public Hospital (even without private health insurance), an MRI scan is... FREE.

Speaking of which, just got my 6 month post op MRI results back... NO re-growth / NO residual tumor!

Oh, and the total cost of surgery by 2 of the best AN surgeons in the world, including a 10 day stay in a private hospital (with private health insurance)... $NIL.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version