Author Topic: Fever blisters and delayed onset facial paralysis in Middle fossa Surgery  (Read 3105 times)

Darlene

Ok, I googled middle fossa surgery and came up with a patient release form.  It stated that patients with a fever blister history may have a higher risk of delayed onset facial paralysis following Middle Fossa Surgery, has anyone heard of this or had experience with this higher risk?   Thanks for all information.

Darlene
DX: 12/6/08
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!

Lilan

I don't know about this, but it must have to do with possible viral reactivation? I believe they sometimes give preventive anti-virals to avoid reactivating any virus along the facial nerve, so maybe they could do that if necessary?

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Darlene

Hi Lilian,

I actually put this into the search engine and saw a thread from 2006 and apparently bells palsy is believed to be caused by the herpes virus on the nerve in the IAC.  People were given prophalactic treatment for fever blisters and then  developed delayed onset facial paralysis and were put on more medicine.  In the thread the person's paralysis was almost 100% corrected at 3mths after medicine and facial therapy and botox.     I often get fever blisters when under stess or in the sun so I guess I better contact my surgeon because I am scheduled for middle fossa on July 1st.  Thanks for your help, you were right it was a viral reactivation.   

Thanks,
Darlene
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!

Darlene

Ok panic over, I emailed the Dr.  and he stated thiis is relevant because of my fever blister history and will treat me peri-operatively with anti-viral medicine.   Did anyone else have this situation?   I would love to hear any outcomes related to fever blisters and middle fossa approach or if you were treated with anti-virals prior or during surgery.   Thanks, Darlene

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
I didn't have a middle fossa-instead had retro-but I was treated w/Valtrex, an antiviral med, for the whole time I was in the hospital. I wasn't sure why, but assumed it was to prevent something from happening.  In retrospect I am glad, because I do get fever blisters when stressed!
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

wendysig

Darlene,

I took Valtrex two weeks prior to and  continued it for two weeks after my surgery, even while I was in the hospital.  My doc said since the side effects are practically non-existant, he thought it was a good idea.  The only facial nerve problem I had was a mild weakness in my eye and it cleared up a few weeks after my surgery.  I had no reaction all at the the Valtrex and was glad I took the precaution.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Darlene

Wendy & Priscilla,

Thanks for the information, of course I immediately jumped to the conclusion that I was going to get facial paralysis because of those darn fever blisters.  I am glad to hear that despite your history of fever blisters with treatment you did fine.  The doctor said I was going to take it peri-operatively and i don't know how that is defined but I am going to ask for it for two weeks before and two weeks after.   

This forum rules!! 

Thanks, Darlene

OTO

Prior to my surgery, they sent me a prescription for anti-viral medication for 5 days prior to surgery (I can't remember the name).    They also gave a prescription for phisohex to shampoo with for 2 days prior to surgery (medicated shampoo... I vaguely remember this shampoo from the '60s).    Anyway, afterward I found out its to prevent any herpes outbreaks which could happen because the virus can be dormant (living on the facial nerve).