Author Topic: Nancy's Spa Day - Lipo and a Face Lift  (Read 75704 times)

lauralynn

Re: Nancy's Spa Day - Lipo and a Face Lift
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2009, 12:08:38 pm »
Hey Dave,
Thanks for getting the scarf out!  I'm so glad Nancy is doing well.  Hope she'll be able to hold food down soon.  Tell Nancy that I will talk to her soon. 

Love,
Laura
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2009, 12:11:42 pm »
Woo Woo! Glad surgery is over and healing has started.. Thanks for updating us!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2009, 12:18:28 pm »
The view out her window is great. A park with two baseball diamonds below, then the Charles river with tour boats going under the Salt-and-Pepper bridge. A perfect sunny day!

Dave

I know that view, Dave.  For those not familiar with the "salt and pepper", those are the small towers (that look like salt/pepper shakers) on the Longfellow Bridge over the Charles, connecting Cambridge and downtown Boston, not far from the Hatchshell (where the Boston Pops play on July 4) :)

Hi Dave, not sure if you have seen me around here but Nancy and I have tossed back and forth... and barring issues, hoping you both are still making the brunch in Worcester on 4/19.  Will keep tabs on you all for that.

I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to chime in on this but computer issues have me bogged and I'm lucky to log on here right now. I know that view from MGH, having spent much time there myself for other issues.....  I'm so thrilled that Nancy is now a "postie" and want to thank you for the updates. I've been lurking for the updates and tickled the "magic scarf" has once again, done the trick.

Please give Nancy my very best wishes... and congrats for being a "postie". Please remind her to take it easy... and yourself, as well.  We need you healthy too!  Hang in there and sending my infamous wellness wishes and hugglez to her.. and to you.

BTW, if you get to sneak down Storrow and get off at Fenway, Dice-K is pitching today and if you stand out on Yawkey, maybe you can catch a BoSox Homer! :)

Be well!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2009, 12:28:30 pm »
Dave:

Thanks for the updates. She seems to be doing fine. Hope she keeps this up so she can go home.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

elliemae

« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2009, 01:36:12 pm »
Hi, Dave
I'm generally a lurker on the forum, but have been following Nancy's spa day since I first saw her wonderful "lipo and face lift" description!

I'm so glad to hear she is doing well. And you too!  As long as you're in/at MGH, you should go over to the Yawkey Center and go to Cancer Care patients' area on (I think) the 9th (maybe 8th?) floor.  There's a wonderful roof deck there facing the river that s/b very relaxing this time of year (it was kinda COLD in December when I last visited after my radio-therapy!!)

Hope you're back in NH soon!  And maybe we will see you on the 19th in Worcester!
Elaine

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2009, 01:45:32 pm »
Hi, Dave:

Just popping in to check on Nancy's progress.  Based on your last post, she seems to be doing quite well.  Her first day reads a lot like mine was.  I was stuck in the ICU for 4 days - with the constant racket and too-frequent awakenings to be checked for something or other when, at least the first day, all I wanted was sleep.  I didn't experience headaches, but a '3' doesn't seem to be debilitating and should be certainly manageable. with the help of medication.  Nancy's appetite should return when the effects of the anesthesia have dissipated, usually by the second or third day, post-op.  This was my experience.  That Nancy's face appears symmetrical and she isn't showing signs of facial paralysis or even double vision (I had that for a few days) is very encouraging. 

As you noted, this is a tough surgery and the initial recovery can be arduous.  However, I trust that Nancy, who gives the distinct impression of being a feisty lady, will emerge from this experience in good shape and ready to regain normalcy as soon as possible.  Enjoy the wonders of Boston.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2009, 03:11:57 pm »
Just thought you'd like to know; Nancy has been sitting up in a chair most of the afternoon, not too much headache pain, and she decided she wanted to walk a bit. Took a nice walk and did great! The nurse said she had never seen an AN patient progress so rapidly. She is, in fact, a feisty lady, as has been said. She had an exam by a physical therapist this afternoon, and they were able to get her to have double vision with some of their eye exercises, though, so I'll have to correct my earlier claims about that.

Dave
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2009, 03:19:53 pm »
Glad to hear Nancy's surgery was successful.

Anne Marie 
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2009, 03:32:48 pm »
Congratulations on "rockin' it", I knew you would.  Take care, both of you, sounds like you're off to a good start on recovery.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

lori67

« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2009, 03:54:25 pm »
Did we mention that the first day sucks?   :-\  Sorry, no nicer way to phrase it.  But I'll bet tomorrow will be much, much better.  Great to hear she's up and walking!  She'll be walking right out the door before you know it!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2009, 03:57:26 pm »
Woo Hoo, up and walking on the day after surgery, Go Nancy!!!  Thinking about you both...
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2009, 05:33:43 pm »
Hi all,

Nancy wants to know about the bandage on her head. It's tied really tight and keeps creeping down over one eye, so it's a real source of irritation. The nurse seems to think it will need to stay on for 5 or 6 days. Any similar experiences, anyone?

Dave
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2009, 05:37:17 pm »
Hi all,

Nancy wants to know about the bandage on her head. It's tied really tight and keeps creeping down over one eye, so it's a real source of irritation. The nurse seems to think it will need to stay on for 5 or 6 days. Any similar experiences, anyone?

Dave
Dave,

I believe they changed my bandage the day after surgery. The next day they removed it completely. And that was the end of having a bandage on my incision.

Send my best wishes to Nancy.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

joebloggs

« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2009, 05:39:59 pm »
Yup,

I had the whole bandage pain in the butt too...it starts to squash your eye, a real pain.  After a couple of days I started stretching it a bit so I could push it up a little away from my eye.  My op was on Wednesday and they cut the bandage off on Sunday.  Such a relief I can't tell you.  By about Saturday I was starting to feel a bit itchy underneath the bandage too which was annoying.  

Is Nancy's throat still sore?  Mine was a bit sore for a few days from the tube and I did tiny little coughs because I thought my brains might spill out if I did a big cough!  I was really craving a toasted english muffin and once I got one, well... bliss!  They're quite scratchy little buggers and so when you swallow a piece it kind of scratches your throat which was a nice feeling!  

All in all sounds like Nancy is absolutely caning the recover which is great!  Her experiences so far are on a par with mine pretty much.

Give her my love and tell her she'll be hurtling round the corridors there in no time!

xx
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2009, 06:22:37 pm »
Hi all,

Dave

Hi Dave and Nancy,

My bandage did the EXACT same thing!  It was slipping down over my eye, and eventually the sticky part was on my eyebrow as well.  I had surgery on a Thursday and the bandage came off (we took it off) on Sunday.  They wanted us to try to keep it on until then, so we did.  I lost many eyebrow hairs that day.  I had some double vision too, but I don't know if it was from the surgery or the bandage squishing down on my eye :).

I must say, it sounds like Nancy is progressing very similarly to the way I did.  I didn't have the cough or loss of apetite, so I was eating subway subs for lunch the day after surgery :).  I was told I'd have to stay another night in ICU when no regular rooms opened up.  At that point, my doctor came in and I asked him if I could go home.  Luckily, he said "absolutely you can".

I had to 1) be able to manage pain with oral meds (I wasn't having lots of pain).  2) be able to walk.  3) Be able to urinate after removing the catheter (That IV drip was flowing right through me anyway).  and  4) Keep food down, which was no problem.

I'm so glad that Nancy is doing well!  I know she is having some discomfort, because we all remember our first few days, but would rather forget them :).  Once the bandage is off and she's been home for a few days, she'll start feeling much better. 

Thanks for keeping us updated and don't forget to gets some sleep yourself too! :)

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.