Author Topic: Trying to get use to SSD  (Read 3265 times)

joebloggs

Re: Trying to get use to SSD
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 04:24:24 pm »
Hey Veri - I have learned to read lips too - although I didn't realise it until I started working in a lab and realised pretty quickly I couldn't understand people in the lab when we had facemasks on.  Mmm.  Not ideal!  My op is next week and I'm hoping the lip reading will make my SSD journey a relatively acceptable one!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

wendysig

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 07:45:56 am »
Hi Jen,

I just saw your question about BAHA surgery.  BAHA surgery is a piece of cake, especially after AN surgery, which you've had twice.  I had local anesthesia with sedation, because that was my doc's recommendation.  I was awake for most of the surgery but very relaxed.  I could easily have done without the sedation.  At the end of the surgery, you get a lovely headwrap to wear home and remove yourself, but it's not a tight one --  it's really just there to keep the bandage in place, not as a pressure bandage.  I removed mine 24 hours after surgery and was able to wash my hair the next day.  Since then, I've had to put bacitracin on the BAHA site with a Q-tip before and after my shower and that's it.   The BAHA site is very numb and will stay that way and the area around the site has varying degrees of dumbness, apparently the nerves in that area are already repairing themselves.  All in all, it has been a very interesting experience. 

I am now  impatiently waiting for the next few weeks to pass to I can start using my processor which I already have.  For now, I keep myself happy by looking at the processor  now and then and reading the booklets that came with it.  I figure I'm one step ahead of most people since I have the opportunity to familiarize myself with it now since most people don't get the processor until their 3 month healing period is over.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Keri

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 10:37:05 am »
Hi Jen,
I'm 'settling in' to the SSD thing as well. At first, I had other issues that bothered me so much - like my eye not closing and the irritation that caused. I found environment is so much of it. When in a smaller setting with fewer people, I find the hearing doesn't affect me so much. And when I have on the stereo for music, sometimes it actually sounds like there's sound coming 'in' from both sides. Before I had 60% hearing loss with a lot of ringing. Now I'mm 100% loss with not too much ringing. What feels 'weird' is that my head on the left side just feels empty! When I explain that to people, I set myself up for the 'typical blonde' jokes! My friends have been patient with me, and so social situations haven't been bad (not that I've ventured out yet that much!) If I'm in an echo-y room, with lots of background noise, that is very difficult.

I want to try the BAHA as well. At first, I thought I just couldn't get one soon enough. Now I don't want anyone messing with my head! But that will pass, and I will look into it, maybe in a few months. Maybe we'll get a BAHA at the same time too!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!