Author Topic: limitations - help please  (Read 4536 times)

bdsgurl

limitations - help please
« on: February 19, 2009, 09:03:49 pm »
hello all,

i went to the dr today and had my stitches removed, everything checked out great and they told me the only limitation i have now is no heavy lifting..so thats all good news! i have one question though, i have a 20 lb baby, i know i cant lift her out of bed, seat, floor, but can i hold her if someone hands her to me, like carry her around as long as im not using my arms to lift her up? Im not sure if its the same thing, but i was confused when they said just no lifting up and down as opposed to carrying/holding. Can you help me? i feel totally strong enough to carry her, i walk around on my my own, have been doing really well, but dont want to put myself in any jeapordy either. Thank you all,

annalisa

Kaybo

Re: limitations - help please
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 09:24:46 pm »
Annalisa~
I think I would call the Dr. on this one...rather be safe than sorry.  Heaven forbid, but what if you did stumble or something and then you would do EVERYTHING you could to protect her and then you might strain...I don't know, just a thought...maybe someone else can chime in.  If not, call!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 09:49:16 pm »
I agree with Kaybo.......to call the doctor on this one.
My first thought was if someone would hand you the baby, you could hold her ONLY if you were sitting down......b/c like she said, you could fall if you were walking around. 
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 10:28:25 pm »
I agree as well.  I didn't lift or carry my son.  I sat down and then he either crawled onto my lap, or someone put him there.  I was a little wobbly anyhow.  Best of luck.

-Amy
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

bdsgurl

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 11:30:41 pm »
for how long did you just have him handed to you? the first month? thats what ive been doing, maybe i should stick to that just to be safe!!

kenneth_k

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 04:29:21 am »
Hi,

I was told no lifting at all the first month. Between 1-3 months, listen to your body. After 3 months, no restrictions at all.

Best regards, Kenneth

salamander

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 09:46:23 am »
I was told no more than 10 pounds for 12 weeks.

Fortunately my kids are in their 20's, so lifing children wasn't an issue.

Samantha.
2.9 cm right side AN;
Retrosigmoid/Sub-occipital surgery 11/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus), facial weakness, dry eye, eye weight, headaches.
Some movement of face at 7 months

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 11:36:02 am »
for how long did you just have him handed to you? the first month? thats what ive been doing, maybe i should stick to that just to be safe!!

I was told for 4 weeks.  You definitely would want to ask your docs since it seems they all differ.

Amy :)
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

Jwh

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 11:43:52 am »
Hi,

I just emailed my doctor to see when my restrictions can be lifted.  He told me at the 4 week mark which is this Monday!

Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 04:45:56 pm »
I agree with Kaybo.......to call the doctor on this one.
My first thought was if someone would hand you the baby, you could hold her ONLY if you were sitting down......b/c like she said, you could fall if you were walking around. 
Lacey

That's what I did.  I would sit and someone would hand her to me.  I didn't try carrying her around until I was closer to the 1 month mark (probably about 3 weeks out).

Vonda

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 05:05:03 pm »
I had no limitations but used common sense. Call the doc and follow your instincts.  I hope you are doing well.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

calimama

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 07:52:20 pm »
Hi Annalisa...

Not sure how long since your surgery... i am guessing 2 weeks if you just got out stitches.

I am in Toronto Canada and i was not told about ANY limitations after surgery... but i tried to go (roughly) with things i had ready here. I have a nearly 2 year old, who was 1 year 3 months after my surgery, i think she was over 20lbs. I avoided lifting her altogether for a good two weeks, but did have her put in my lap. I think by about 3 weeks the urge/need to lift her was overwhelming... and i did... carefully. I tried to bend a bit at the knees and put my left hand underneath her crotch and my right arm around her shoulders. it did not feel like i had to bend much, and i easily managed, no worries.

that's just my experience.

good luck!

trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

heyct

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 04:08:58 pm »
Hi All,
I thought I'd bring up this thread again. My husband keeps pressuring me to lift our 30lb son. I told him I know I CAN lift him, but the doc said 2 more months. I am just now 3.5 weeks post-op & doing incredibly well. Driving short distances regularly, no balance, walking or double-vision issues, even thinking about horseback riding again. Sometimes I think because I'm doing incredibly well, my dear hubby forgets that I just had major brain surgery. Anyone else out there w/the same partner situation?

Is the lifting issue a potential CFS leakage issue? or because of balance, double-vision etc? It seems like everyone has had different time limitations, so I'm very confused & dying to be able to lift our son.

By the way, he's been adjusting to the "too heavy" for mommy thing. Of course, he's a little monkey   :)

Carolyn
Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 08:40:36 pm »
Are the restrictions put on to prevent a CSF leak?  I am curious too.  How many weeks post op can we hope to be past that hurdle?  I was told no straining what-so-ever for 4 weeks.
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 08:14:42 am »
As far as I know, the restriction is to prevent any kind of damage to the healing incision...including those that lead to CSF leaks.  I would , from unfortunate experience, warn everyone to avoid leaks if at all possible.  I'm sure they happen sometimes no matter what precautions you might take.  My recovery would have been picture perfect if it weren't for the leak and subsequent meningitis!  I have no idea if I caused the leak or nor.  I was feeling pretty darn good, and may have picked up something heavy or strained in some way.  The result was a lot of pain, a second hospital stay, and a PICC ine for 2 weeks.   Better to be overly cautious, IMO!  :-\

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.