Author Topic: Ibuprophen  (Read 1791 times)

sher

Ibuprophen
« on: February 15, 2009, 12:15:55 am »
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone experience body aches, just general crappy feeling when taking Ibuprophen? I take it off and on and really should be on a regimen for swelling but it tends to just make me feel sick. Anyone experienced this? I hope all is well with you all. I am more of a lurker on the forum...but know that I think about all of you and your courage sustains me.
Thanks,
Sher
1.2cm x 0.6 cm extracanicular component (7 mm) 05/08/08
MRI in AUG 08  showed 30 % growth
Having CK 9/30, 10/1 and 10/2/08
1/12/08 MRI shows swelling

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Ibuprophen
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 01:42:59 pm »
Sher -

I haven't experienced this, but perhaps it means you are allergic to ibuprophen?  I know there are lots of people who are allergic to aspirin, but I don't know what symptoms they experience that tells them this.

I'd ask your doctor or pharmacist if there is something over the counter that you could take that doesn't contain ibuprophen, but would alleviate the body aches.  If there isn't anything available OTC, I'm sure your doc could prescribe something.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 03:27:45 pm »
Sher:

Thanks for your kind words regarding the forum population. 

I'll have to echo Jan's ('leapyrtwins') response.  I've never knowingly had a negative effect when taking ibuprofen.... and, over the years, I've taken quite a lot- for a variety of reasons.    Reducing your dosage or, as Jan suggested, contacting your doctor or pharmacist to find a similar OTC drug with the same basic attributes is probably the way to go.   

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 04:35:14 pm »
Sher,

You may not post as often as some, but you are definitely not a lurker.

Checking with a doctor or pharmacist makes the most sense. It is probably a stomach issue with the ibuprofen. One alternative that works for me is Aleve, aka naproxen. It is another NSAID, comes with the same warnings, and may produce the same symptoms. I think it is considered stronger, and maybe more of an issue if taken every day. But it was recommended to me by a doctor when I was passing a kidney stone some years ago, and it worked like a charm. It lasts 8-12 hours, so you take less, which might help.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 11:33:33 pm »
Aleve does work wonders, but be careful that you don't take too much of it.  It can be very rough on the stomach.

A few years ago when I hurt my knee running the orthopedic doc recommend I take two Aleve twice a day for a few months.  It worked like a charm, but ended up doing some semi-serious damage to my stomach.  At that point I stopped taking pain relievers altogether.

After my AN surgery when I didn't want to take the Vicodin my doc prescribed for me (I didn't need anything that strong) I started taking Extra-Strength Tylenol.  I've found it to be a kinder, gentler pain reliever and it does the trick for me, but I still miss my Aleve.   I may go back to taking it again, but in moderation.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 09:13:05 am »
Hey there,

Ibuprophen is well known for causing digestive problems so if your feeling sick you probably have an intolerance to it although you may over come it the more you take it, also do you take it with food, if you don't, you really should and certainly in the morning, don't take it unless you have had a good breakfast.

Alternatively you could try another anti inflammatory there are many different ones but again most do cause digestive problems.

Out of interest where is the swelling? Could you not use an external gel or cream in stead of an oral tablet?

Cheryl XxX  :-*

diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

sher

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 12:36:54 am »
Hi Chezy,
The AN is actually swelling after Cyberknife, so a topical won't help... Thanks everyone for you advice. I am very appreciative.
Sher
1.2cm x 0.6 cm extracanicular component (7 mm) 05/08/08
MRI in AUG 08  showed 30 % growth
Having CK 9/30, 10/1 and 10/2/08
1/12/08 MRI shows swelling

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 09:58:39 am »

Arr thats a shame, oh well, it was just a thought, I hope you find a solution soon.

Cheryl XxX  :-*
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.