Author Topic: A little scare ......  (Read 2684 times)

Denisex2boys

A little scare ......
« on: January 16, 2009, 11:25:16 am »
well, 12 weeks ago today was my surgery - and I also am completing my first week back to work (part-time for now) and feel pretty proud of myself!  :)

I have been getting off work at 2:00 pm which still gives me plenty of time to get my walks in during the afternoon - - which I have been doing since about 3-4 weeks post-op - - but I got a bit of a scare yesterday (not a bit - a lot of a scare!) .......  as you are aware most of us are in wind-chill warnings but this has not kept me from my daily walk - which I really need to regain some balance - - anyway - yesterday I was walking and thought I was well protected with a scarf, etc. - and at one point had to walk into the wind - - and oh my - I could not even come close to forcing my left eye closed!  It was like the nerves on that side gave up - I literally had to physically hold my finger on my eyelid to keep it closed - which I have not had to do for weeks now - ..... did I wreck my progress?  ... and of course my balance was then totally thrown off ..... so BEWARE of the cold .......
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

mimoore

• Believe!
Re: A little scare ......
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 12:26:13 pm »
Hi Denise,
I live in Canada and it is cccooold and windy. I am also on outside yard duty and the wind blows and blows. Check out my post eyewear and see what I do. I never have an issue with the cold or wind with my dumb eye.

Michelle  ;D

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7688.0
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 04:27:54 pm »
Denise:

Yes, it really is cold, now.  The temperature was 0° in my Connecticut town, this morning.  Even colder in some other parts of the state.  That is extreme for us!  Please - no smug comments from the westerners and southerners among us, chuckling to themselves as they read this.  ;)

I doubt you did anything to set back your recovery just by being out in the cold and wind.  My 'AN eye' is pretty much normal and always was but in a cold wind I have to protect it and have a little trouble keeping it closed, which I normally don't, ever.  I've learned to either wear sunglasses (it's sunny today, even with temperatures in the teens) or simply squint and/or hold my hand over the eye to shield it from the wind.  Once out of the wind, the eye reverts to it's normal function.  I'm sure yours will, too, but you'll want to keep it protected from wind, especially icy-cold wind.  I do. 

Jim
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 04:10:53 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 04:40:32 pm »

I also have had this problem when the wind blows right into my face I have to use my finger to keep my eye closed or when the sun is bright, I can just about close my eye but it is difficult for me, the more I try the harder it gets, my physio told me its the musle getting tired because its not used to working so much, little and often is the way forward I beleive, anyway now when I'm out I wear sunglasses, come sun, wind, rain or snow I don't care, I don my sunglasses and pretend I'm famous, "No picutres please."  :D

Cheryl XxX  :-*
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.