Author Topic: AN & flying, stress, and cold  (Read 3312 times)

marguerite

AN & flying, stress, and cold
« on: October 29, 2008, 07:43:39 pm »
has anyone had any problems w/flying? i'm thinking of taking my son to florida over thanksgiving break and that's a 2-hr flight, otherwise we drive 17 hrs. my concern is once in the air the pressure will be too much to handle. i have 1.5c and had the 6-wk radiation treatment (early 07). i also noticed when i'm stressed, or catching a cold, the AN side throbs. anyone experience that symptom? any suggestions?

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: AN & flying, stress, and cold
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 08:28:44 pm »
I didn't have radiation, but I've had no problems flying post op.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 07:08:40 am »
I didn't have radiation either, but I definitely had surgery and a bunch of post-op problems and I fly ALL the time...and have every since I had surgery!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 08:46:48 am »
I flew a ton (including overseas) while I had my tumor, although I didn't know it at the time.  Never had a problem.  I''ve even been up in a small plane with some friends who fly and didn't have a problem then.  So, go, enjoy and don't worry.  (you could always check with the doctor, which I would do just to be on the safe side.)
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 07:24:48 pm »
i just went to Hawaii and back 7 hours each way no problems

the cold / sinus stuff yes i have that and since my An it is sure touchy due to some facial nerve stuff.

when i get a really bad headache or migrane it seems to affect my scar tissue from An too , but thank fully those are few
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

marguerite

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 04:21:16 pm »
thank you to all who replied. i'm glad i posted the inquiry. although my son and i decided to drive, i will not hesitate to fly in the future. now ... i just need to sit back and relax while my 19-yr old drives part way. maybe i should consider taking the valium that i normally keep for the annual MRIs. ahhhhhhhhh... there's a thought!

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 03:33:30 pm »
I'm pre-surgery here, so I don't know what it will be like as a postie--if it's different at all.  But unless I'm sick, flying is a breeze.  And since I started getting brainstem symptoms this fall, being at a higher altitude actually makes things better.  Weird, huh?  We're flying private to L.A. next week for my surgery and will be cruising at 13,000 feet to get over the mountains (oxygen on board!), but nobody is anticipating any problems. 

My dad has a plane, so we fly a lot.

Vonda

Tumbleweed

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 10:14:11 pm »
I had CyberKnife and didn't notice any problems with flying immediately after treatment. I have also flown for many years before getting treated, with no additional ill effects.

Stress, if it's bad enough, makes me more dizzy and increases my tinnitus.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08